Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mirage drive question
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have one mirage drive on my TI that makes a fairly loud "clunk" sound when the right pedal is unloaded. It is definitely at the instant that it is unloaded, not at the moment that it begins its return via pressure on the left pedal. It isn't at the application of force to the left pedal either. I can apply constant light pressure to the left pedal, or no pressure to the left pedal at all, and the clunk still happens when the right pedal is unloaded. It isn't the fin hitting the hull. It will make the sound as long as the right pedal is stopped anywhere in the last 25% of its stroke. It seems that there is some slop in the mechanism, but I can't find any without it out of the water. The boat has only been out 5 times, with probably 20-25 miles of pedaling total on it, most of that was just light pedaling while under sail power, so I doubt that the problem is wear related. Any Ideas? Is there a place on this forum with extensive discussion about the mirage drive? Thanks a lot for any help.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like tensioning of the cables is uneven. Possibly a bad gear. Or the chain is not centered on the alignment cog.

Learn to use the search engine here, JC. There are many "deep" mirage drive discussions.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a similar clunk on my (well-used) drive, which turned out to be one loose cable, with the clunk happening once the slack was taken up. Obviously you can't replicate this without resistance on the fins.

While holding the drive in your hands, push against the free-standing part of the cables and see how much slack there is... they should both be pretty firm, and definitely both the same. It is only a few minutes work to adjust cable tension with a spanner.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tip from the Batcave: You can build a cheap little 2x4 frame for your Mdrive and put this on your sawhorses. This will make it easier, when you need to do drive repairs, tuning and lubrication.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I could do with one of those at the boat ramp to make it easier to explain to the rubber-neckers :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you both for your replies. Nohuhu, your haka innovation is really amazing for these boats. It is THE thing that makes the TI the perfect boat for my young family. We absolutely love them. Tony, no joke about the rubber-neckers. I almost feel like a shameless attention seeker with the TI. I'm really shocked that at lakes with crazy speedboats, yachts, crazy jet-skis, ect, it's the Island that gets so much attention. I get a little tired of giving people the dime tour. We even had a group of ladies ask to take some pics of us last weekend.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahem.. round here, you're supposed to call them "supermodels" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:lol: Yup. What he said.

JC, a family man huh? You are just the guy with the big marketing target on your back that Hobie wants most of all. They need to reignite the sailing craze and harvest the coming generations too. I think there could actually be a "Hobie" theme ride at Disneyland some day, (probably based on the TI). ;-)

Please add your shots to the "Haka" thread, and your voice to the general discussions. It's good to hear fresh perspectives on the forum. Otherwise, it gets kinds "salty" round here.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, The TI is really a great boat for a family of four with two small kids. (Hakas are a must though) I'd recommend it to anyone in my situation. I'd love to post some pics of the work I've done, and I will as soon as I find time to figure out how to do it. As far as marketing to families (and they should) Hobie should sponsor marine boilogy displays at aquariums and children's museums. Those places are crawling with upper-middle income people, looking for some family friendly adventure.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The TI seems a perfect fit for you. Even better with spray skirts.

Have you tried the tramps for the kids? Generally, that's what I recommend until they are reasonably focused and competent swimmers (any age). Plus kids/dogs love to sleep on the tramps... this makes for longer, less stressful trips.

I had a 4 year old out on the Hakas recently, (just to get her out of the splash zone) but held her. Sadly, her mommy would not fit on my lap too. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have to admit, I have been lurking around here for about a year. I have built spray skirts (thanks Kayaking Bob). They are awesome. I have to say, for anyone hauling kids, the Hakas, installed over tramps, is really the killer app for the TI. My kids, 5 and 7, hike from side to side on tacks. They are perfect counterweights. We pull them on a boogie board, it works great. They stay plenty dry on the hakas over the tramps. We even go out in 50 degree weather and 50 degree water (thank god for wetsuits). Rigged with tramps, hakas, and spray skirts, it's a family fun machine. My kids and wife will sail for 8 hours with very little complaint, especially if there are fish, and boogie boarding. We just love it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad you are enjoying your Sprayskirts. Sounds like your whole family is having quite a great time on your TI. I look forward to some pictures when you get a chance to post them. Here's a link to help with that: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12574