Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 2010 TI came with fairly short plugs for the bilge and amas. In the course of things, I replaced them and the replacements are significantly longer. Pros: they are easier to get in without cross-threading, maybe they are more leakproof>
Cons: Because they stick out further when unscrewed, they seem to be more easily knocked off. I have brushed mine off quite a few times, usually, but not always recovering them. This is hard on the pigtails, so they become even easier to lose.
As a result, I carry spares, because (as I found out the hard way) getting to the water without one of these is a potential trip killer (well, you can plug them with an appropriate diameter twig...)
But, I found that a great place to stow spares is in the grooves that are in the hatches for holding the AI rudder pins (TI pins are too long to store there). Here, in my rearmost hatch (so it is right at hand when I miss one), you can see one long and one short one (without its pigtail). The notches are a little tight; although they work unmodified, they will pinch the threads hard enough to damage them a bit. A little work with a rattail rasp, dremel, or sharp pocketknife could improve on this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good idea beebrain, but I have to ask... why leave them almost fully out? My amas have never had any water in them, and I only ever open the plugs to equalise air pressure (pressure builds up on hot days), but I then close the plugs when storing the TI in the garage for next time. So there is nothing much sticking out to get damaged. l open the main hull plug to drain the bilge by tilting the TI back on its trailer, and I leave that one open, as it is protected by the rudder. Doing up this plug is part of the set-up list for the next outing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bb--I've had 3 AIs over a span of about 6 yrs, and I have never taken the plug out of the amas. I've never had any water in my amas. My boats are stored in the garage when not in use, but they have certainly been exposed to plenty of sun in S FL. Again, I have never taken an ama plug out.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon