Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been enjoying using Hobie's hiking stick and the freedom it gives to move around on the haka ...until yesterday.
It snapped right at the swaging. Looks like the SS cable can only take a finite amount of flexing?
Drilling out the rivet and replacing the cable would be the fix I guess but is there a replacement cable spare part available?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, when you think about it, this was bound to happen, as the metal obviously work hardened. I guess there is no real substitute for proper universal joints in that location, or regular replacement on a timely schedule (whatever that is)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clearly, Hobie has more work to do on their hiking stick.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Clearly Hobie should send you new products to abuse before public release LOL. Looks to me like a chamfer or radius at the end of the swage would help alleviate stress in that area. That cable is way strong in tension.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would be surprised if Hobie didn't replace this under warranty for you.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Stringy, when you think about it, this was bound to happen, as the metal obviously work hardened. I guess there is no real substitute for proper universal joints in that location, or regular replacement on a timely schedule (whatever that is)

Yes Tony, you are right.
I was expecting to have to replace the cable eventually but this failure so early has surprised me. I doubt it has been used on more than 6 trips.

Chekika wrote:
Clearly, Hobie has more work to do on their hiking stick.
Keith

Definitely.
It looks like it may have been rushed out. As much as I like using it I was disappointed when I first picked it up as there was something trapped in the handle that rattled up and down when moved. Probably the remains of a rivet? It also looked like it had been assembled cheaply... but at AU$70 it's not cheap.
This from Matt's description in a previous post: "The cable is covered by a fiber reinforced tubing. Makes a "tendon" connection that is flexible and strong." actually looks like this:
I like the feel of the cable connection in use but it looks as if reliability is a problem.
A better way of swapping worn cables is needed or a rethink of the tendon connection.
Maybe a rubber type fitting like a "Battlestick" as used on Lasers?

Last edited by stringy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ppicker wrote:
. That cable is way strong in tension.

Agreed, but it broke because of the constant flexing, not from over tensioning it!
Thinking about how it's used it's probably too long at 40". It has to be bent backwards when tacking as it hits the mast if pushed forward. This causes more flexing.

John_h wrote:
I would be surprised if Hobie didn't replace this under warranty for you.

I have no doubt Hobie will fix it. It is less than a year old after all.
I'd prefer a better more reliable design that can be replaced in the field. Drilling out and replacing a pop rivet is not something I'd be able to do "on water".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

Contact your dealer for a replacement. I'll copy the thread to engineers.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt.
I have sent details to my dealer and they have filed a warranty claim but I realise things are on hold until the "Worlds" are over.
In the meantime I've been looking for a better solution. As the cable has broken after such a short time I wouldn't like to trust that again. I'll be interested to see what Hobie come up with for a fix.
I drilled out the rivet and removed the broken cable. I discovered what the annoying rattle was in the handle...the remains of the "popped" rivet:

I'd like to see a solution that overcomes having to remove the tiller knob when using the hiking stick. If the knob could be redesigned so that it accepts a standard tiller extension tendon quick release like Ronstan/Riley it would be better and more reliable.

I've mocked up one for testing. It's bulky and ugly but I like how easy it is to remove the stick and go back to the tiller.
A knob that was designed for the purpose would be less bulky:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excellent idea, Stringy. I'll second your recommendation.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm with you on that too Stringy. I had used the hiking stick on my two previous yachts without any problems, and >always< sat to windward at the full extent of the hiking stick, and never experienced any disconnects or jams, even on overnight races (where fatigue can result in inept use of equipment).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

An alternative might be something like this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#end-links/=ql0w28

I used the stainless quick disconnect on my tiller in last year's EC. Worked great, shame it doesn't come in a course thread or it could just screw right into the tiller handle.

It is vaguely visible in this picture Image

and in this one Image

cheers,

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes there are many options for connections. I was looking at some small SS universal joints on eBay that are very cheap:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6mm-6mm-Shaf ... _999wt_922

Rather than re-invent the wheel though I'd prefer to see already proven technology adopted. The Ronstan/Riley tendons have been successfully used for years and the 'Batlestick' tiller extensions are high quality and cheaper than Hobie's version.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:

My RAM ball "universal joint" is still rocking after two years and showing no signs of breaking down. Slight surface corrosion of the aluminium nut and bolt, but nothing substantial.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a keeper, Chris.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon