Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:09 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 am
Posts: 4
I am having a problem seating and releasing the mast in my 2010 AI. It started with a difficulty releasing the mast. When I pulled the trigger lever, the bar that holds the mast didn't want to release. It had very little travel when I pull the trigger. Now it has no travel. To the point that I can't even insert the mast as it rests on the part that should lock the sail in place. (There is no debris in the mast dimple or the mast well. It is really about the locking mechanism, I think.)

Before I take it apart to look at it, does anyone have any advice? (I'm not super confident in such things. AND it's not because I'm a lady!!! :) )

Also, if I need a new spring or other parts, is there an on-line place to purchase AI parts?

Thanks for your advice and consideration!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:54 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 2243
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Try slightly backing off the screw that is in the slot (that holds the lever piece down) and the screw at the pivot point (hinge). Early on I had a tendency to tighten down everything and these screw should not be tight or it will act as you describe instead of as intended.

Other sets of screws not to be tightened down are the ones that hold the cleats! :? :shock: :D

_________________
Image
http://KayakingBob.com - - - - - Hobie Island Sailing since 2006 - - - - - 2011 & 2012 Hobie AIs and a 2012 TI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:31 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 2100
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Also check that the lever has full travel with the mast out.
If it works ok with mast out then look closely at the mast furler drum to see that it hasn't slipped.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:14 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 am
Posts: 4
stringy wrote:
Also check that the lever has full travel with the mast out.
If it works ok with mast out then look closely at the mast furler drum to see that it hasn't slipped.



Thanks for your answers! The lever has barely any travel (like none) with the mast out. It seems to be "jammed" in the engaged position. (where it would be if the sail were locked in place.) When you pull/squeeze the lever nothing happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:23 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 am
Posts: 4
KayakingBob wrote:
Try slightly backing off the screw that is in the slot (that holds the lever piece down) and the screw at the pivot point (hinge). Early on I had a tendency to tighten down everything and these screw should not be tight or it will act as you describe instead of as intended.

Other sets of screws not to be tightened down are the ones that hold the cleats! :? :shock: :D


Not to seem stupid (but let's face it, clueless would be more accurate. :oops: ) but am I correct in assuming I have to remove the xbar and the mast bearing plate in order to access the screws to which your referring? Right?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:00 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 2100
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
If you haven't done so already give the lever a good blast with water and then a liberal spray of silicone just to be sure it is debris free.
Does the washer under the lever slot screw head move? If not you will need to back off this screw as KB said.
An offset screwdriver or a screwdriver bit held with mini locking pliers should give access without dismantling.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:34 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 2243
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Krisspe wrote:
KayakingBob wrote:
Try slightly backing off the screw that is in the slot (that holds the lever piece down) and the screw at the pivot point (hinge). Early on I had a tendency to tighten down everything and these screw should not be tight or it will act as you describe instead of as intended.

Other sets of screws not to be tightened down are the ones that hold the cleats! :? :shock: :D


Not to seem stupid (but let's face it, clueless would be more accurate. :oops: ) but am I correct in assuming I have to remove the xbar and the mast bearing plate in order to access the screws to which your referring? Right?


Both screws should be accessible without removing anything. They might be very close to parts of the forward aka x-bar, but still accessible with a longer screwdriver.

_________________
Image
http://KayakingBob.com - - - - - Hobie Island Sailing since 2006 - - - - - 2011 & 2012 Hobie AIs and a 2012 TI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:53 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:24 am
Posts: 5
Location: Havre de Grace, Maryland
Does anyone know the size of the mast lock screw that holds the trigger lever in place, mine fell out and was lost.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:19 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 am
Posts: 4
stringy wrote:
If you haven't done so already give the lever a good blast with water and then a liberal spray of silicone just to be sure it is debris free.
Does the washer under the lever slot screw head move? If not you will need to back off this screw as KB said.
An offset screwdriver or a screwdriver bit held with mini locking pliers should give access without dismantling.


Thanks for all of your suggestions. I have found and fixed the problem. The issue was really one of poor maintenance. :oops: There was a bit of debris, not a lot, but enough to reduce tolerances. But the real problem is that I hadn't tightened the bolts around the mast bearing plate in quite a while. They were all a turn and a half loose. This was enough to interfere with the motion of the lever (the problem I was having last fall but never got around to worrying about. :P ) So over the winter, the nut actually sort of "jumped the track". In other words, there is a slot in the lever that allows travel and the nut that receives the mast bearing bolt somehow got to the wrong side of the slot. So the lever couldn't be pulled and the retaining mechanism was stuck on the inside of the mast well. It wasn't too difficult to cajole the lever back to the other side at which point the nut is back inside the slot. Everything works perfectly now.

I really must get better at maintenance. It's just that I'd rather be sailing. And this boat spoils me by being so trouble free. :D Thanks again for all of your advice!! I would have been taking the whole thing apart and probably messed something up in the process.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:38 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 2100
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Nice work Krisspe! 8)
I must apologise though for the advice I gave earlier re the offset screwdriver. At the time I was away on a weeks camping trip with the TI, which has a lot more clearance. When I returned I looked at the AI (mine has V1 aka) and there is no way you could get a screwdriver in under the mast bearing plate.
You correctly identified that you would have to remove the front crossbar ...so you are in no way 'clueless'! :wink: :)


Last edited by stringy on Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:55 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 2100
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
RedRobin,
It looks like it is part# 8030261 Mounting screw ...#10 x 1-1/4 PHSMS-P, that is if I'm reading the spares catalogue right!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:13 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 9303
Location: Oceanside, California
That's the actual receiver mounting screws...

The lever is using a #10 x 1/2" sheet metal screw. #8031151

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:00 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:25 pm
Posts: 2100
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia
Thanks for clarifying that Matt as I wasn't too sure.
I can't see that listed in the mast receiver parts breakdown pic of the catalogue. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:00 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 9303
Location: Oceanside, California
I'll add that in the next issue.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:38 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:24 am
Posts: 5
Location: Havre de Grace, Maryland
thanks for everyone help.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group