Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bent mirage drives
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brought my TI onto shore in pretty rough surf with drives down. Both drives are operable but at least one drive has a bent shaft. I do not know what the shafts should look like in their correct orientation because it is possible that they were both bent -- I believe they can be straightened and realigned but I need some technical guidance. Has anyone seen anything on line that might assist me -- I am on vacation and do not have access to a Hobie dealer here. Thanks

Post subject: Re: bent mirage drives
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you get it to look OK, it should run OK. If you Really want it strait, unscrew one of them. They are meant to be perfectly strait. Once removed you can roll them on a flat surface to check.

If it were me on vacation, I'd just straiten them till they look good enough and fix further when back home. Enjoy your sailing time and maybe next time, remove the drives before landing :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Bob, appreciate your advice. Don't know about removing the drives before landing though -- what is boating without a little chaos. No stories to tell if everything goes smoothly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Down here in Florida most of the beaches are nice soft sand, we seldom remove the mirage drives, I just make sure they are parked up against the hull and make sure my passenger puts the bungy on their drive before getting close to shore. They are surprisingly durable and I don't worry so much about them anymore. Actually we have had 8 Hobie mirage boats now and I have still to damage a mirage drive more than a slightly bent shaft that is easily straightened. Incredibly good design Hobie.
Bob