Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh, hi guys.

So I just pulled my 2015 TI out of storage now that the ice is off the local lakes. But is this really only a one year old boat? Man it looks filthy. And I even washed it before putting it into storage!
I need some suggestions on how to rectify this!

The main local lake I sail on is pretty dirty, but it's always windy and the fishing is always fantastic. The scuz line on the hulls are noticeable, and the "see-through" part of the sail is, well, not see-through anymore. Believe it or not, I would spray down my boat after pulling it out of the water each time (I trailer it to and from the lake), and gave it some good soap baths throughout last year, but the fact of the matter is that it still looks filthy.

I've tried a mild soap and water for car washing. In fact, I've tried two different types. But the "Dune" color looks more like a "blotchy wet desert" no matter how hard I scrub.

So what does everyone use to clean the plastic, and has anyone tried cleaning the sail material?!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had success using "Purple Power" in the spray bottle for cleaning the poly hulls of my kayaks, including the TI. Never tried it on the sails however. I have found the best/easiest way to keep them clean is put a good coat of wax on the hulls, I use the easy spray on wipe off stuff from the auto store. Then when I get home from a day on the salt water, or tannic acid (tea colored) back waters they hose off clean and shine like new. Our NC waters are beautiful, but loaded with "stuff" that likes to stick to the boats.