Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crack in seat support
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today I found a crack in the hull at the seat support of my 2018 Tandem Island. I know rotomolded polyethylene is difficult to repair so does anyone have any repair suggestions? Is the TI linear or crosslinked polyethylene?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have had pretty good success plastic welding Hobie kayaks both above and below the waterline. This topic has a post from me with the common repair steps:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=69923

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
I have had pretty good success plastic welding Hobie kayaks both above and below the waterline. This topic has a post from me with the common repair steps:

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=69923

Peter

Thanks Peter, I like the idea of welding with the mesh. I'm not sure it'll be strong enough because the repair area is under a large load whenever someone uses the seat. I'm wondering if your idea would work if, after welding, I fabricate a fiberglass part that would spread the load over a greater surface area. I may first try the stainless steel mesh repair you mention or use both the mesh and fiberglass part.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In some cases I have used a hard foam block cut to size to sit inside the kayak between the top and bottom to relieve and spread load. This also comes in handy during the plastic welding process to keep the crack sides aligned.

When you plastic weld you can build up the surface with additional plastic to make it thicker.

If you can access the underside of the crack, inside the hull, there are epoxies and glues that can be used to strengthen things. Won't look great but would be out of sight inside the hull. I have not used any of these products but you can search the forums. User fusioneng especially has commented on various adhesives that work or won't work.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone know the function of the square insert near where the rear supports of the seats contact the hull? If the image isn't attached to this message see the orignal photo above.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i think that point cause really several cases of cracks and Hobie should do something aboit it. I suggest everybody , even before having those cracks, to reiforce that point where the seat press on the hull. It's not a matter of weight since one of my friends cracked it in the wife's seat and her weight is only 50 kg. I understand that Hobie cannot prevent any potential problem but they should do after many issues like this.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just had a similar crack appear on my TI deck after less than 10 times of use. I am waiting on Hobie warranty request.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would plastic weld the crack and never use the lower seat position again. Use the kickstands in the upper most position so the vertical nature of the plastic acts as a header and distributes the load better. You can remove and turn around the springs in the kickstand so they stay out all the time and only retract when you pull kickstand lever. This makes it easier so the kickstands aren’t always retracting whenever the seat gets moved around. There is a YouTube video on how to do this. https://youtu.be/n9pSQKoVaCc?si=2PZH0q-C9ZvbDh4A

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wanted to update that Hobie accepted my warranty claim and I will be receiving a new hull in early February (and this is being delivered to Portugal). Annoying to miss the Autumn season but very good after sale service all the same.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

markjmfoot wrote:
Just wanted to update that Hobie accepted my warranty claim and I will be receiving a new hull in early February (and this is being delivered to Portugal). Annoying to miss the Autumn season but very good after sale service all the same.

I'm glad your warranty claim was successful! Did you receive the new hull yet, @markjmfoot?