Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an older Hobie Compass Outfitter Tandem which I purchased used. We were never able to get comfortable with the fabric seats. They slid around and didn’t provide enough back support. After hints from the forum I purchased two Ascend seats from Bass Pro and two sets of Attwood pole storage clips from Amazon. Both seats needed to be modified because they were too wide in the front to fit inside the gunnels. I devised a method where removed the crossbar from the front, two screws. Then I placed the curved portion of the front frame on a tree trunk, took a ratchet strap on the two low points of the frame, used a 2nd ratchet around an adjacent tree and pulled until the width was close to where I wanted. I then cut ~1/2 in off the crossbar on the rear seat and about 7/8 in from the crossbar on the front seat used a 1/4 in threaded bar from Home Depot as a through bolt and tightened until all the slack was out of the crossbar. I clipped the Attwood clips on the front low points, positioned each seat just behind their respective port holes on the hull and marked the position of the clips. Drilled a small hole and used SS screw, nut and washers along with a coating of 3M 5200 sealer to fix the clips in place. The front of the seats simply snap in place and snap out when you want to remove the seats. We’ve only used the seats once for about 2 hrs on Lovers Key but OMG what a difference. I’m no longer concerned about taking the kayak out for a full afternoon of discovery on the SW Florida coast line.