Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a new '07 AI at a discount price because of sun fade and a deformed hull from a year of outside display with improper support. I'm affraid the deformation is rather extensive. Even the two grooves between the "tripple humped hull bottom" are pushed upwards and there is a slight fold along the intire length as well, but not bad. I did not realize it was as bad as it was when I purchased it but too late to expect anything from the dealer. Any advice or ideas on bring out some of the dents would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roto has a pretty good memory. Set the boat outside and upside down in direct sunlight. If the hull doesn't pop back, repeat with a couple of garbage bags taped at the creases to increase heat.

Brian C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya Tomcat - What brian sez.

Plus you could cut some styrofoam blocks & wedge them inside the hull at the dent. That may force out the deformation while it is heated up.

If the dent keeps returning just glue in the strofoam block to make kayak hold the correct shape. It may require a little clever shaping of the strofoam. If left in the hull it just acts as as emegecy flotation should there be a hull breech.

Yakaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice. I will try and let the sun do as much as posible first as soon as I can get the yak back. It is in the dealer's for rudder upgrading and repair of screwed up mast retaining clip. I've only had it out once taking turns with wife during an unusually windless day. We can hardly wait for better days to come and experience what this thing can do in a bit of a blow.