Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Matt - Rudder Question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

With the new can coming out soon, it would be very helpful if Hobie could provide detailed steps on proper installation and adjustment. Yesterday, my son and I finally got to make our maiden voyage in the Pro Anglers. (Work has been killer). After 3 hours both boats would make a hard turn right or left without touching the rudder and both rudders have a good inch to two inches of slack in the control stick.

Now, I know I need to tighten the strings to get rid of the slack, but how tight? and what about the boat turning unexpectedly?

The only thing I have issue with this boat is the rudder and I can live with that, given I have a easy adjustment procedure.

As I go through the posts on rudder adjustment, there is no do this first then do that.

Lastly, when can we expect the new large can?

THANKS!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:42 am 
Site Admin

The new drum is here. We will be contacting owners shortly, but you can order the free ones for your boats from your dealer now.

There is a knob under the steering handle for line tension adjustments (manual / Page 6). Spin either way till snug. The tension needs adjustment due to shrinkage and expansion of the system due to temperature. Its simple and quick to adjust to your liking.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got an email from my dealer that they are closing. how will I get the replacement drum for my PA?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

From the next closest dealer... or if you have already done your warranty registration with us... we will be mailing direct. Worst case, you can get it direct from us by supplying your details.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

whats a drum for, i just got my Pa in the Uk. Will i need this and why?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's a larger drum for the rear portion of the rudder system that will effect the turning radius for the kayak. It'll make the tracking a little easier I'm understanding. I'm hoping. What I've noticed in mine is in straight line pedaling, it wanders a little. Takes some steering corrections to keep going straight and seemingly a little more than you'd think necessary. But on the other hand, in regular paddling you correct on every few strokes so it's not much different.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I look forward to the new drum.

But I think when you adjust with a paddle it is second nature to your paddling stroke. With a rudder it requires a specific action to adjust. I have read accounts where PA owners get used to the small drum and are not required to make the constant adjustments. I believe that with the PA rudder positioned where it is it makes the boat handle like a much smaller boat. I do like the way the rudder is protected under the boat and being able to turn within its length. There you have it, trade offs all around.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i live in the uk and have a p.a. will the drum be sent to me or will i have to get it from the dealer?
i have registerd the boat with hobie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:12 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Why1504 Said:
Quote:
I have read accounts where PA owners get used to the small drum and are not required to make the constant adjustments.

I am one who spent enough time to pretty much get used to the rudder and didn't have to touch it much more often than I do on my Revolution. But, I plan on installing the new drum to see if that is what I want, knowing I can always go back to the original.

I hope the shop gets the new drum before the ice gets here which is any time now. If that happens, it will be the end of April until I will get to try it unless I do some southerly migration :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
i live in the uk and have a p.a. will the drum be sent to me or will i have to get it from the dealer?
i have registerd the boat with hobie

We only shipped drums direct to North American owners. You need to request this from your UK dealer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:21 pm 
Site Admin

FYI... rudder drum details are here: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=16432 "Pro angler steering"

Too many threads on the same topic. I am going to lock this one.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]