Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

went fishing at a small lake today, had to make right circles around the lake all day as my PA would turn very little to the left. when I had the PA on the trailer I could see that the rudder would only turn to the right. is there someplace on the forum that shows how to adjust the rudder?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I dont know if its the same set up on the outback but i had the same problem. I found out that you could turn to the left if you pulled the rudder down lever fully out. I discovered that the pulley at the front inside the hull had done a 180 degrees turn as its only held by 1 screw and it had caused my rudder string to go slack.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Take the black cover on the stearn off. With the rudder down loosen the two screws. Put the rudder in the center and the steering knob centered then pull the steering stings tight and tighten down your screws. your done. Good Luck
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:21 am 
Site Admin

The boat is pre-set to have the rudder control on the left side of the seat. Moveing from the original intended position will require adjustments as noted above.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
The boat is pre-set to have the rudder control on the left side of the seat. Moveing from the original intended position will require adjustments as noted above.

I do use the rudder control on the left side of the seat, but facing to the side instead of the front to be easier for me to reach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:14 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

atavuss wrote:
I do use the rudder control on the left side of the seat, but facing to the side instead of the front to be easier for me to reach
If you removed it from the front corner you probably lost a significant range of motion, mostly on the left (from where it normally wraps around the side).
You can re-center it but with less sweep, you'll have substantially less turning ability. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also moved mine to the side, instead of the front and verify that it was necessary to make adjustments. The adjustments are easy enough to make and the difference I have in steerability isn't enough to cause me any problems. I'd recommend everyone get familiar with that operation. If you have problems out fishing, you'll need to be able to make the adjustments or you'll be fighting the steering all the way home..... to the dock. Which brings up the issue of what tools to carry with you.
Make sure it's something that "rusts well." :roll: