Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler Fins
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I sea trialed the various Hobie yaks, I went to the trials wanting an Outback .....After doing the trials , I ended up really liking the Revo a lot more , and ended up buying a Pro Angler !!....Confused ? ...Maybe a little ? ..... OK , the added stability that I got from the Outback was not enough to convince me that it was the better yak over the Revo , and the Revo just shot like an arrow with the Turbo fins on it ....Loved the way it handled too ...I was leaning into turns like I was on my Triumph Speed Triple !!... The secondary stability was GREAT !!!.....When I trialed the Pro Angler it seemed very sedate, and somewhat boring, but it held my weight (250 lbs ) really well , and there was plenty of room to move around , and plenty of room for gear ....So I went with my head instead of with my heart. My heart was with the Revo ....Getting older, and BIGGER , it really is a lot easier for me to get to my gear in the Pro Angler , but I still remember that feeling of exilerance when riding in the Revo ....My question is this .....Will Hobie ever come out with a larger set of Turbo Fins for the Pro Angler , or will we have to use what we are already using ? ......I know that what we have is great for overall performance , but there are many times that guys like me who have stronger legs , would really like that extra boost that I felt when I took the Revo out with standard fins, and then strapped on the Turbo's .....NIGHT AND DAY difference !!!.... I'd like to have that same feeling back again but with my Pro Angler .....Hobie ...Is this possible ? ......Thanks, Jim

Please chime in if you've ever wanted bigger fins on your Pro Angler ....Thanks, Jim

Post subject: Re: Pro Angler Fins
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 am 
Site Admin

The Pro Angler is wider and slower than the Revolution through the water. Turbo fins already seem to be pushing hard on the drive and hulls. Larger fins for more force would require further changes to both drive and hulls so, not something we are thinking about right now.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Reminds me of a buddy of mine, weighs 285 and his wife bought him a Ford Thunderbird convertible..........he didn't even fit behind the steering wheel..........had to give it up for an Expedition............sometimes you just got to take what fits. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,
Thanks for the reply .... Wasn't aware of the strain on the Pro Angler ....It's really a work horse and sometimes we don't realize it's limitations .....Jim

mythman ..... I don't go along with your reasoning at all ..... If there is something that is not made for someone my size , I find someone that will make something to fit someone my size ....I'm not going to sit on the sidelines and watch people do things that I know I would enjoy doing just because I'm bigger than they are .... and since the Pro Angler is not able to handle bigger fins, I will be getting a Revo with Turbo's to get that feeling back again .... Jim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:53 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jim, I think the hull design is the limitation on the PA, not the fins. Putting the same fins in both boats you already noted the difference in response. Even doubling the power output of the Drive would not add that much zip to the PA -- I was able to try this effectively with the Outback and rudder mount evolve motor combined with Turbos, where doubling the power added less than 1/2 MPH to the top speed.

Note that the charted PA evolve performance against evolve Outback (below) shows the same pattern. Neither the PA or the Outback can perform like the Revo, but in all cases there are diminishing returns with added power.

Incidentally, the existing Tubofins have a lot more thrust potential than most users can muster. Most users get tired after running the Revo 4 or 5 miles at 5 MPH, yet those same fins can easily push the boat to about 7 MPH (requiring about 3 or 4X more power). If you've got the legs the Drive can provide the thrust.

This may sound like a strange thing to say, but if a person is not replacing parts on the Drive very often they're not pushing those fins to their full capabilities. Fortunately, very few people can -- the newest Drives can usually go 800 to well over 1000 miles without a part replacement for most people, barring a defective part. 8)