Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: P A in rivers?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone use a Pro Angler in a river? Wondering how it is in a river fishing situation with shoals and light rapids.

Post subject: Re: P A in rivers?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I fished the narrow inlet of this lake that had a moving current, it was no problem at all to move upstream or turn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been wondering the same thing. I fish on two small rivers in Northeast TN. I wonder how the Mirage system would hold up over shoals and small to med. rapids. I can just see myself taking it out the first time and going over a shoal where the bottom of the boat drags on the bottom or hits a larger rock or going down a set of rapids and ramming a boulder only to see one or both flippers floating down stream.

I would love to buy one of these boats but just not sure that the Miragedrive system would hold up under freestone mountain river tail waters.

Does anyone have any experince using the PA or any MiageDrive system boat under such condtions?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the bottom of the boat strikes anything you can count on your mirage drive and fins getting torn up quickly. I haven't taken my down rapids or shoals but every time I hit a submerged log my fins get torn and the rods get bent.

I'd say this probably isn't the boat for any type of rapids where you'll be bumping against the bottom. If your mirage drive fails (especially in the PA) it can be a painful day of paddling. Paddling the PA is like trying to paddle a pontoon boat. It sucks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i live next to the grand river in MI. i was wondering if that would be hard on the PA. how much $ is the PA?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you very much for your comment and advise. That certainly seemed to me to be what would be the case but wanted to know for sure. Also thanks for your additional comment regarding the fact that the PA is a bear to paddle, for this was going to be my follow up question. However I'll add one more question/thought for your advise and comment. Can the PA be used without the drive system installed? While I know you stated that paddling it is a bear, what I am wondering is if the drive system can be removed for those times that I fish on the river (mostly drifting with the current and at times stopping to fish a certain pool either by anchoring or getting out of the kayak and fishing from shore). When is fish either of the two rivers near me, both are mountain river tail waters, they are small rivers with fair to fast current with some stretches of slower moving water.

When I fish these rivers now, I actually paddle mostly to control my kayak and very rarely to actually move myself downstream allowing the current to do that and rarely if ever paddling back upstream (except to clear a snag). I also fish and paddle on area lakes. So in your opinon, when river fishing with the current where paddling is not much of a factor if at all as far as provding forward motion and taking out the drive system would the PA still be a good platform for fishing?

I'll thank you in advance for your reply.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The retail cost for a PA is $2300

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if u know ur going that shollow , pull the drive and paddle. Hobie put in alot of thought into the PA. You can stand or sit and paddle the PA. I thinkit is the ultimate fishing tool. I get alot of looks and comments, but i catch fish!! Especialy places others ( except kayaks) can not get!

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are going to go shallow or suspect submerged rocks, do yourself a favor and get extra fins, I tore mine 3rd trip out, just tapping a submerged rock. They seem way more fragile than my old standard fins, very thin at the tips :(