Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yesterday I drove to the High Island beach to fish offshore for bull reds. I fish this place so much, it feels like home to me. When we got there, we found pristine conditions with a North wind laying down the surf, but causing quite a chill.

Most of the guys launched before me as I have a ton of stuff to load in the Pro Anger. But I got it all loaded and paddled out to 6' of water and dropped the eVolve into the mirage drive well and away I went. Man oh man is that motoring nice.

I got anchored up and soon caught my first bull red..........he was a real fighter.

It was not a fantastic day but a steady day of catching fish. This was number 2 and he had swallowed the hook.

I used my long vice gripes on him and out came the hook, with minimal damage.

What is nice is with the eVolve I can motor over to take pictures of other's catches or have my catches photographed. No problem going from one place to another in short order. Here I am motoring along.

Here is a Black Drum (we call them "Big Uglies") that I caught. Can you understand why we call them that.........this one even has a hickey on his lip.........only an ugly mother could love that face!!! :D :D :D

My last fish of the day was golden in color...........I love catching those pretty colored fish.

Because I knew I wasn't going over 500 yard off the beach, I didn't even carry my mirage drive, as a back up. I can paddle the PA that far. I had fashioned a wooden paint stirrer to replace an aluminum alignment rod, that had come lose on me and I went to align the prop and the wooden stick had swollen in the minimal water I got in the yak and wouldn't work.

I was able to hit the remote throttle several times and finally get the prop aligned to remove. I was luck, that time............but Hobie is mailing me replacement and I should have them next week.

It wasn't a outstanding day fishing (6 bull reds and 1 big ugly for me) but it sure beat sitting at home!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
It wasn't a outstanding day fishing (6 bull reds and 1 big ugly for me) but it sure beat sitting at home!!! :wink:

Well, looks prety outstanding to me!! Common April first (opening day here in Nova Scotia). Thanks for sharing!

Troutbum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Aloha Mythman,

I grew up in Texas but I have been living in the State of Hawaii for the past 28 years. However I recently visited family and friends which gave me the opportunity to fish around the Galveston Bay areas. Had a great time and caught a lot of fish. Not as big as the ones you did.

I also fish offshore with my ProAngler so once I learn how to post pictures I will post em. If you get an opportunity you can see my fully rigged Hobie Proangler that Matt Miller was kind enough to post some photos for me under this same section.

Best Regards

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mark,

I read your post and we have the same color kayaks and seemingly rigged about the same, but I don't have the fish cooler/keeper bag, yet.

If you get back to Texas, be sure an let me know and I will be happy to take you fishing where we catch those big fish. However, I only have one Hobie and you would have to paddle my spare kayak. But we usually don't go offshore more than 1/2 mile.

I am very curious as to how your PA rode out the storm. I have noticed that, even when my bow is a light as possible, that the nose/bow goes right through waves, not over them. I am use to a kayak with a strong rocker and it rides right over the waves.

I look forward to hearing how your kayak did in he storm.