Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello all,
I'm slowly preparing for a solo trip along the north shore of Lake Superior beginning late July into August. I'm researching all of the safety gear that I'll need for the trip ( PLB, bilge pump, flotation bags... etc.). Are there any suggestions as to wether I should buy a spare Mirage Drive or will the Mirage Drive V-2 spare parts kit give me what I might need in case I get into a jam. I've been to this part of Lake Superior for the last 5 years but was on a 40' power boat and kayak fished once we were anchored. I know the area quite well but also recognize that we've rarely seen other boaters in those parts and definitely know that the shoreline is uninhabited.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I favor the spare Drive for the following reasons:
1. It can be put into service immediately -- no repair, tools or delay necessary.
2. The kit does not cover all possibilities; the spare does.
3. Repairs on the water are difficult under the best of conditions; impossible in foul weather. There is a risk of losing parts.

Keep in mind, frequent inspection and adjustment of your Drive prevents most failures. With almost all failures, the Drive is still serviceable and will continue to operate at some level. This includes broken/lost mast, detached fin (not included in your kit), broken chain/cable, striped drum (not included in the kit) and broken pedal/crank arm (not included in the kit). You can simulate these failures by disconnecting various parts and trying it for yourself.

Having said that, I feel the current Drive is very reliable, but have experienced all the failures mentioned at various times in the past (pre V-2). 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I certainly agree with Roadrunner.. I'd go one step further by having at least one kit along too. Especially if I was going to plan any more of this type of excursion. Maybe two kits. The kits would need supplemental pieces regardless. It all depends on your willingness to do repairs instead of just plug and play. But having the option to repair as you're sitting tight because of wx is an option. With careful inspections and care as mentioned, you shouldn't have to use either option. Great trip and hope we can hear of your trip and if possible, get your "spot" device uploaded to the web so we can watch your progress. Oh, don't forget black fly eliminator "gun" or some other device. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for your input Roadrunner and Yakkingaway. I'll plan on both a spare drive and a spare kit for the journey. I'll definitely be documenting the trip as much as possible and looked into the new Delorme PN-60 W/ SPOT GPS (amongst many others). It should be hitting the shelves by June.
I'm overwhelmed by the amount of gear (safety and other necessities) required for such a trip. I'm realizing that I'll need to use my smaller kayak as a caboose to tow much of my belongings. It's going to hit hard up front but I'm planning on making it an annual outing so I won't be cutting corners or skimping on the safety gear.

GR8 Laker