Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi TDK

How are you finding the showboat after having it for a while? Any issues?

I'm considering at getting one too but worried that the extension piece will break or get bent after a while.

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hammer wrote:
Hi TDK

How are you finding the showboat after having it for a while? Any issues?

I'm considering at getting one too but worried that the extension piece will break or get bent after a while.

Your thoughts?

Hammer,

Overall, I've been very pleased with the Showboat and the rest of my Yakima setup. There are a few issues:

1. As I said in this post, I'm extending the Showboat a little further than recomended in order to clear my spoiler. I use the foam pieces I described (a foam canoe/kayak hull block that I cut in half) to provide some extra support under the extension bars when I'm loading/unloading. This really helps limit the Showboat from flexing downward and contacting the spoiler.

2. The Showboat roller mounts to the Yakima round extension bars using a couple of brackets. An oblong bar on the roller allows it to slide right and left in oblong collars that are part of the brackets. This allows for loading multiple kayaks by shifting the roller to one side of the car or the other -- not something I need. I actually have the round extension/support bars set at the maximum width to accomodate the PA, so there really isn't any right or left movement possible for the Showboat. The problem I found is that the design of the oblong bar and brackets allows the Showboat to flex down significantly under the weight of the PA. Probably not an issue with a 75 pound kayak. I was very concerned that the oblong bar would eventually break the bracket under the weight of the PA. I figured that I didn't need the Showboat to be able to move left or right, so I could make a modification to immobilize the oblong bar in the brackets to keep it from flexing downward. I did this by positioning the Showboat at the ideal vertical angle (I propped it up with the foam blocks) and then I drilled a pair of holes down through the top of one of the bracets, through the oblong metal bar and out the bottom of the bracket. I then inserted two stainles steel clevis pins and a stainless cotter pin. I repeated this on the other bracket. Now the Showboat does not flex downward at all in the oblong brackets and does not contact my spoiler while loading. This was a great fix. Plus, I can take out the clevis pins if I ever need to use the sliding feature of the showboat, maybe on a future vehicle. I'll post pictures later.

[That's a 2 inch long stainless clevis pin. Sorry I don't remember the diameter.

3. I've had a bit of trouble with the clamps coming loose that hold the Showboat brackets to the round extension bars. These brackets clamp on using a hex wrench with a special security bolt (it has a pin in the center of the hex opening on the bolt that requires a wrench with a hole in the end). I have found that these brackets will slip on the round bars over time. It's never been in danger of falling off, but when I pull the Showboat out to extend it for loading, I can feel the bracket occasionally slip. I have been able to tighten the devil out of that secuirty bolt, but that has eventually caused the wrench to strip the hex head. I contacted Yakima, but they don't carry those security bolts as a part (I don't understand that at all). So, make sure you wrap a single layer of electric tape on the end of the round bars before attaching the brackets. This will give them a better grip. I will have to pull the hex bolt out and go to my local hardware store for a suitable replacement. I doubt I'll find the hex head with the security feature, but I hope I can find a stainless bolt that will work.

[wrap the electric tape around the end of the round bars before sliding on the bracket and tightening the clamp]

All in all, I think this is a great rig and I do recommend it as a way to make it relatively easy and secure to transport your PA on top of your vehicle.

Best of luck,

TDK

Last edited by TDK on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:34 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

TDK wrote:
I'd love to hear some take-out tips from those in the know.
Being lazy and impatient, I'm always looking for a shortcut. Also, I don't like scratching on the boat either, so after loading, I wheel it right into the water, stern first, to where the bow floats. After all gear is secured, Drive is installed, etc, I tilt the boat slightly and extract the wheels from underneath, stow the cart aboard and leave -- one trip.

Coming out, the procedure is reversed. With all gear secured, I tilt the boat slightly, feel for the groove, then scupper, slide the cart in, remove the Drive and roll the boat (with gear) out of the water up to the parking area.

With the PA, inserting the cart from underneath takes a little practice, but there isn't any Hobie that won't work this way, including the TI with outriggers.

I use the light duty cart. Four years old, it has handles all the boats including the 190 lb. TI on all surfaces except soft sand. It has low buoyancy, so is easy to control under water. Any of the air filled wheels can be difficult to insert unless you replace some of the air with water (or anti-freeze mix if appropriate). This makes the cart heavier, but manageable when positioning it under the boat.

You have to be willing to wade up to your knees and get your arm wet up to your elbow to do this, so in colder water it may not be feasible.

For those who find it necessary to roll the boat on its side for cart insertion, a short-nap carpet sample is a great asset and easily stored. You can get them at any carpet store for about $1; it will protect your boat on any terrain. If it gets muddy or sandy, a quick rinse in the water will clean it right off. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the comprehensive review TDK.

Do you have any pix on the mods you did on the Showboat?

Again, thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hammer wrote:

Again, thanks.

My computer is just back from the shop. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.

TDK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hammer wrote:

Again, thanks.

I added some pictures to my post above.

TDK

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Great set-up! Very nice adaptation. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TDK,

As this seems to be the best route for a single person load unload operation I have the same setup on order, minus the Showboat attachment as I dont think I will need it for my setup. I will be mounting this setup to a Thule XSporter truck rack system. As the cross bars of the XSporter are wing foil shaped, as appears on yours, what mounts are you using to attach the rollors and saddles to your bars?

Thanks,
AB

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

racrx wrote:
TDK,

As this seems to be the best route for a single person load unload operation I have the same setup on order, minus the Showboat attachment as I dont think I will need it for my setup. I will be mounting this setup to a Thule XSporter truck rack system. As the cross bars of the XSporter are wing foil shaped, as appears on yours, what mounts are you using to attach the rollors and saddles to your bars?

Thanks,
AB

racrx,

I think you'll be pleased with the setup. I used the Mako Aero saddles on the front and they come ready to mount on the oblong factory crossbars. The regular Mako saddles require either using a round crossbar or I think you can purchase adapter mounts (Yakima Mighty Mounts, I believe). The Mako Aero saddles cost a little more, but the ease of install is worth it. The Hulley Rollers require the Yakima Mighty Mounts to install on the oblong factory bars. I believe you can lookup the correct mounts for your factory crossbars on the Yakima website.

Good luck!

TDK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I read this thread and after quite a bit of thought decided to get this Yakima setup for my new PA. It works great so far. Picked up the new boat and have took it to the lake one time. Hully rollers want to move on me, but I have tightened and seems to have helped. I have bought lock cores and accessory lock attachments for the hully rollers, maco saddles and the base rack. Anybody have experience with these? BTW, I have mine on a Honda Pilot 07. Very similar body style to TDKs Highlander.

TDK, any more tips?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

wolfewiz wrote:
TDK, any more tips?

Try to make sure your vehicle is sitting relatively level from side to side and, ideally, position it facing slightly downhill when loading and slightly uphill when unloading. This may seem silly, but the PA is a big, heavy boat and when it starts to veer off to the side when you are loading (usually because the vehicle isn't level side to side) or you are trying to push it uphill onto your rack, it can be a gut buster. When it starts to wander on the rollers I have to pull down on the rear handle of the boat to reposition the front and that puts a lot of pressure on the Hulley Rollers and the Showboat. I really try to avoid doing this because it puts them at their max capacity with the weight of the PA. I haven't broken anything in 18 months of use and I attribute this to not doing things, at least most of the time, that I know could cause damage. Taking time to repostion your vehicle for loading and unloading is a wise use of mere seconds that will prevent physical damage to you, your vehicle, your boat, and your rack system.

TDK

Last edited by TDK on Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am about to install the hull rollers for my bed extender. I just toss mine in the bed of the truck,but it can still be a pain.