Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirage Drive Diagram?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Cheers to all!
I've found myself in the middle of one of those sleepless nights (luckily it's Saturday) and rather than toss and turn in bed, I figured I'd get up, brew some coffee and familiarize myself with my Mirage Drive. I started with my owners manual... not much there! Next, I went through the entire Mirage Drive FAQ section, a thorough and well documented piece by Roadrunner (who,as usual, sets a high standard with his explanations). There's a significant amount of information there to be taken in and some of the lingo is a bit foreign to me. Does anyone know if there's a diagram or exploded view of the Mirage Drive along with component names? I tried the search function (Mirage Diagram) and didn't have any luck. If there is such a thing out there, I'm sure it will help speed up the learning process.
Thanks,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi GR8 Laker,

I've been in your shoes. Take a look at the diagram in the parts and accessories catalog on page 36.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/pdfs/ka ... 9_Fall.pdf

TDK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks TDK,
I've gone over everything again (including the catalog) and it all makes a bit more sense. Sufficient sleep helps too! I was stumbling over the word "clew" and the catalog uses red lines to specify only a limited number of components. The sprocket guard and outhaul block look the same but have different names. Overall, I'm certainly better off than I was! I think the best thing for me to do is take the drive apart and reassemble it but I won't be doing that until I order my spare drive or am forced to because of damage.
Thanks for the reply,
GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's easy to get confused. Originally parts of the Mirage Drive were described with a combination of sailing and bicycling nomenclature and much of this language is still used. The "clew" is the nautical name of one of the three points of the sail, and it attaches to the clew "outhaul block" (the hollow plastic piece that snaps over the back part of the sprocket) to connect the back of the fin to the Drive.

The "sprocket guard" is a similar hollow plastic piece that snaps over the front part of the sprocket to protect the cogs and chain from potential damage by submerged objects. Upon close inspection you will see that the sprocket guard is held in place with screws while the clew outhaul is free to rotate to some degree and is secured by the clevis pin to the fin (formerly known as the sail).

So by now you also know how the "mast" got its name! Avast, matey -- you'll want to get a nautical dictionary to decipher such other occasionally used terms such as port, starboard, bow, stern, chine, sheet, painter, block, padeye, cleat etc. etc. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the clarification Roadrunner, there is plenty of homework in my future! Even though the old sponge is a bit soggy, things are still being soaked up!

GR8 Laker