Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, second trip out in the PA and actually fishing today on Lake Echo (yaaaayyyy!!!).
My earlier complaints about the mobility of the PA on the little inflatable wheels were bang on.
Turns out the PA is MUCH easier to move off road when the cart is installed in the front scupper holes than the rear. The rear aluminum handle is much wider and more confortable than the plastic front one and the kayak "seems" to weigh half as much too.
And as I said before the Eze wheels or whatever they are called are absolute rubbish, at least for anything other than grass or packed beach sand, they pull so hard off road that I didn't even notice one of them had come off part way down the trail :evil:
Also, with the fat little donut wheels, the built in rod holders become unuseable when the cart is stowed until you take off the wheels and stow them (P.I.T.A.) I know I know, most of you have Scotty rod mounts, however, I don't yet have that luxury, so I make do using the built in ones for one rod and hand hold the other. I will be buying new wheels first before a rod holder. These things should definately come with better wheels! :evil:
I noticed the cutting board/tackle box cover sits extremely tight to the seat making it difficult to secure (perhaps I have the seat installed wrong, although it only seems to go one way?) Anyone else find this??
I had a really hard time installing the Mirage drive for some reason? I never hads that issue with the Outback, perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Appreciate any advise.
I also would recomend removing the central tackle box for transportation if you use the hard bait hanger section, it is a pain picking all the crank baits out of the bottom and rehanging them.....ask me how I know.
Now, all that negativity aside, I can say that the PA is the ULTAMATE FISHING MACHINE! or aleast it will be once I rig it with practical rod holders and a fish finder. This thing is absolutely phenominal :shock: .
Stable, comfortable, and suprisingly fast/agile in the water considering what an ox it is on land.
To get on the water faster, I avoided loading on my Subarus Roof racks and threw it in my flatbed trailer instead, loading rear first securing front and rear thru handles. Worked like a charm. Slide back pop in the cart, and away you go.
Once on the water it was Cadilac comfortable and you could move about freely and without worry.
I'm thinking I might put a loop of velcro or a small belt on the steering knob that I could wrap around my L/H upper thigh to steer, seems like it would work, at least until Hobie comes out with mind control steering :lol:
Overall, even though it is very early in fishing season and I didn't catch anything, it was a great evening out and I can't wait to get this awesome piece of machinery back on the water, hopefully with fish next time! I highly recomend the PA for fishing, at least from my flatwater poit of view. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mind control steering for cars is available already in Beta testing; you just need the Bluetooth brain implant. The only drawback is that no Beta Tester survived the operation yet.

Trailers are the best kayak Accessory I ever bought for any kayak.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My first two outings in my PA, I had some problems mounting the mirage drive but now have none.

The cutting board is a little close, but I thought that was due to that tractor tire around my middle! :roll: :D

I have fished out of my PA about 4 times and it has been a dream boat. Three of those 4 times, I drove home in the same pants I fished in..........and in the past, I have alway had to put dry pant on after reaching the beach.

I kept my old paddle kayak, but it is gathering pollen resting in the garage on two saw horses. I am not sure I will paddle it again.

This PA will grow and grow on you.

Good luck and happy peddling!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excellent. I've got the "flat tires" for my PA.... but so far because of where I've been putting in, I'm getting away with them. It wasn't a good choice at all and they'll have a little egg on their face for a while over the situation. I'm holding out to see what they decide to do for the "real wheels" that won't self destruct or deform the hull. Yes, there is a procedure for inserting the drive system. It's covered in here somewhere and I'll look for it. Suffice it to say that the rubber piece at the rear is causing you problems. Just make sure the front "peg" is sitting on the ledge. Nice proper, nautical, kayak terms. Try it on land so you can see better what's going on. Of course you'll have to have it sitting up in the air some. Mess with it a few times, you'll see what the issue is and get beyond it. Great kayak isn't it? Love it. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Proper insertion of the Mirage Drive can be found in the kayaking/ fishing section of the Forum. It is in the Mirage Drive FAQ Topic. I'd provide the link if I knew how! Yakkingaway has a good point there, maybe the Mirage Drive Seal (horizontally positioned "shark fin" looking gizmo) attached at the base of the pedal shafts is forcing the drive out of position during insertion. Try removing the seal and see if that makes any difference.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The link is here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12836

I'll try it next time out, I think the problem with mine is operator error! :roll:

I haven't yet installed the seal at the rear.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'll go out on a limb here. I've had the Outbacks for several years and now the PA. With the Outbacks, and no "seal" thing, my best efforts were rewarded when I put the front in first. Make sure the front is in place on it's resting ledge and then settle it in to the back. It's a nice feeling fit when it works. After setting the front pin it was a wiggle and shake operation for it to seat properly. Got good at it. I've had to take extra care with the PA fins as they are a little more difficult to seat properly and I attribute it to that seal. I've gotten beyond it for the most part and you will too if you look at it closely and practice the feel.. I'm starting to think the PA wants to go in almost flat and straight down. Of course the wiggling and shaking helps too. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Troutbum,
I found the same problem with the seat and center hatch. I remounted seat 1 1/2" back on the seat brackets by carefully measuring an re-drilling holes. You'll also need 2 more bolts and nylocks to do it right. Works fine now! I also found that the cutting board sat too low in the top of the hatch and my knife kept cutting into it. You can correct that by getting yourself another plastic cutting board from OSH, Home Depot, Lowes or anybody that carries them. Remove the existing one and trace the out line. Cut it out and smooth the edges. Using stock board for a template mark and drill holes. Install the stock piece over top over new cut-out and use longer 10x32 screws to re-attach. Makes cutting bait much easier and less awkward. Hope this helps! :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Halibut, seat relocation sound like a great idea. I'm not sure I'll be using the cutting board too much, so it'll probably suffice.