Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TAK and I had a great morning fishing Quantico Creek off the Potomac River this weekend. A front blew in and the wind picked up making for some chop, but the Pro Angler handled it like a true aircraft carrier!

I found some good fish while the tide was up and boated this nice bass and 3 others using a chartreuse spinner bait.

TAK picked off this lunker in submerged weeds while the tide was pulling out.

I tried my Humminbird Piranha portable fishfinder and it worked really well. This is a self contained rig that includes the batteries right in the base to which the head unit attaches. The transducer is mounted on a suction cup and I just reached around the side of the boat and pressed it onto the bottom of the hull. I routed the tranducer cable under the seat and placed the base unit on the cutting board (you can sort of see it on top of the center hatch/cutting board in the first picture in this post). It didn't interfere at all with my pedaling. The transducer bracket did pick up a few weeds, but it was easy to reach around and clear it when the readings started looking odd. Humminbird sells a bracked to mount the base unit to a surface -- I might get that to be able to attach the entire unit to the starboard. I think I may be able to upgrade the head unit from a Pirahna 1 and just switch it out in the base. Here's a newer version using the PiranhaMAX 210 unit -- http://store.humminbird.com/products/271683?product_id=722a74b6e6a5de4d36a5da55b5d64b99 . Note the mounting bracket at the bottom of the page in the accessories (patr # MS PPM). This is a nice setup because it doesn't require any drilling and you can pull the entire unit out of the boat at the end of the day. Running the transducer through a scupper using one of the mounting options other have posted would help with grass snagging on the transducer. I'll post some pictures of this setup later.

The PA is a fishing machine!