Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I Love my boat. I feel that I take excellecnt care of it. Hobie has impressed me from day one. Hobie replaced my first hull due to an unfixable crack in a rear scupper. Now today I took on 20 gal. of water. When I got home I put her on horses and put some water in the hull only to find a half inch crack in the drive well. Is this fixable?? I dont know what the heck to do?????I felt like I put my dealer through it all the first time around....HELP!

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

There is no load there normally... Rear? Its possible you had the drive in crooked which forced a load on the rear of the well when pedaled?

See faq: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12836

In any case, contact your dealer. We will take care of it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I will contact my dealer now. Thanks. I will have to look at the drive closer to see how that is possible to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Also for Matt on a similar note, I was was out yesterday morning 6/6/2010 at Refugio Beach North of Santa Barbara. Had been out for about 2 hrs. and about a mile off the beach, when I noticed something just not right! I opened center hatch and pulled fishing tackle bucket. To my horror I had about 20-30 gals. of water in hull. Getting back to the beach was much fun and I discovered muscles I didn't know I had. However, I made it after suffering a small panic attack which explained why I now have bent masts and torn fins on my Mirage drive. After getting the water filled beast (and filled with that much water in it, it was indeed a BEAST) drained I discovered an almost perfect 1/4" hole in the rear of the drive well right where the horizontal and vertical limits meet, at the bottom of the hull, in the rear drive well socket. Same place as the pics in this thread. I have since repaired it wit Marine Goop and think it will be fine. However I wanted to get it on record with you as to the problem. It was as if a 1/4" drill had been used as it was a perfect circular hole, no crack. I checked the dive and there is nothing there that could have caused it. I've only had it wet a couple of times this year due to weather and when that was co-operating something else would come up. Bought it 3rd week of Jan 2010 from S.B. Paddle Sports. If you need me to take it to them for a look-see, I can do it even though after the fix it's almost invisible but, for now I think it's going to be OK. I just wanted to get it on record with you in case of future issues. I can't see how there is any stress of any kind caused by the drive in this area. So, Maybe just a small Mfg. defect? In any case, I'm now installing a good 12v bilge pump. That ain't gonna happen again. I already have enough gray hair thank you!~

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Using the boat since January and just now appeared? That is an really odd one. Maybe a bubble in the mold part line finally popped?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt, that is what I'm thinking. Like I said, it doesn't appear to be a major problem right now. The Marine Goop job I did yesterday looks OK and I'm sure that stuff will do the trick. I just wanted to get it on record with you in case there are any more issues with it before warranty period ( Jan. 2012?) runs it's course. Thanks for reply.