Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fixed. Love my Pro Angler!!!!

Last edited by FLKayakAngler on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:38 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Congratulations on your win and welcome to the forum!

The rudder control is adjustable for tension and position -- sounds like it may be adjusted improperly It should be sitting about at a 45 degree left (if left mounted) to allow equal swing in both directions. Some on the forum have remounted it at a different position as well.

Use the search feature to see more or go to the FAQ section or consult your owners manual (also available in line). There is lots of info on this issue.

It's hard to beat the Native seat for comfort. Maybe you can adapt one for the PA. :wink: Personally, I add an i-comfort seat pad to the bottom and a 2" square boat cushion to the back for better pedaling comfort and power, but most seem to like it well enough the way it is. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

FLKayakAngler wrote:
I can turn left all day long but the second I try to turn right the rudder control hits the seat. ... On top of that it always binds up at the worse moments leaving me headed right into a dock or some mangroves.

The rudder tiller system is set up to use on the left side of the seat, so the left and right steering should be equal from the factory when mounted there. This is adjustable by centering the rudder (raise it), opening the access cover and adjusting the lines and handle to the center position of the handle. If you move the steering to the right side of the seat, you must adjust the steering swing in this way.

Binding can be line tension (tension knob under the tiller drum) or the actual screw that holds the tiller drum together may be too tight.

Hopefully you have the new larger steering drum? http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=20521

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Flkayakangler I hope your wife doesn't read this... or girlfriend. She might accuse you of not reading the manual. And she'd be right on..... I didn't have any of those problems when I took my first ride in my Outback, and then the Pro Angler... nope... didn't. Honest. Well, not honest, but you do believe me don't you? Make the adjustments and remember the thumbwheel needs a tweek now and then to make up for hull stretch and shrink. Good luck. You've got a great craft there. Enjoy.