Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wondering what different options people have found for the Hobie cart for the PA. Mine has the small inflatable ones that seem nice for the beach, but don't roll so good on pavement (at least with the recomended almost non existant pressure) or off road. My old Outback cart had the wige plastic wheels like a golf bag cart which didn't seem too bad a compromise?
Love to hear others opinions/ideas/pictures.

Thanks

Troutbum

Post subject: New cart - Heavy Duty
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

We took a standard frame and mounted the Heavy Duty wheel upgrade kit on it to make a

80046001 HOBIE HVY DUTY PLUG-IN CART

This is in response to a need for higher capacity use on the Pro Angler and The Tandem Island. The wheels are now 200 plus lbs cap x 2 or 400 lbs easy.

You now have a choice of 3 carts... Standard, HD and Trax 2

Standard best all around for hard surfaces

HD best for heavy loads, hard to semi soft ground and sharp / rough terrain

Trax 2 excels in soft sands.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt, I think I have the Trax ones. Are the wheels interchangable? I likethe "taller" wheel like a small wide bicycle type one. I think I may have gotten the wrong cart with my PA as the retainer pin won't go all the wat thru, don't think I can lower the bushings any further. Seems the leg of the cart isn't long enough? Was there a "shorter" wide model made?Might have to make a trip to my dealer.

Thanks

Troutbum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is the suggested retail price for the cart with the heavy duty wheels? Does the frame extend beyond the scupper holes?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

If I already have the latest model standard cart (plastic wheels), can I upgrade to the heavy duty wheels myself, or did you guys have to do some kind of modification? I ask because I've been wanting more grippy wheels, but the hobie catalog entry for the heavy-duty-upgrade kit literally says "*Will not fit current standard or Trax carts". Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:24 am 
Site Admin

US list price $139.95 (USD 3/2010)

This is simply a standard frame with the washers cut off and HD kit pounded on (we leave a burr from the washer weld that siezes the HD sleeve). You can convert a current standard cart by adding the HD kit shown in the catalog... #80043 $54.95 (USD 3/2010)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the help Matt, this looks like an easy solution.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

For anyone who is searching for alternative cart tires, keep in mind that tires holding too much air will be difficult to push under water to plug the cart in. On the other hand, unless you plan to tether the cart to the PA, tires that sink might end up in the drink! Uh oh... #@%&!!!
Unfortunately, I purchased the Trax 2 w/ pneumatic wheels and already know the majority of use will be on terrain other than sand/ soft ground. I can't afford to buy a standard cart as well so I'm in a bit of a jam. Does anyone know why the HD tires can't be used with the Trax 2 cart? There must be some kind of modification that will allow the pairing. If I can't use the HD tires from Hobie I'll have to look elsewhere. Also, does anyone know if the HD tires float? They seem to be the air filled style rather than the flat-free.
Concerned,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The cart and wheels I got with my PA aren't very well thought out either. First, as stated above, the cart didn't extend through the hull far enough to pin it in place. I'll show you my fix for that. It doesn't solve the soft tires that will wear you out on all but the shortest 'commutes'. I'll take care of that with a tire adequate to be fairly stout but still do well in what little sand I cross. Here is the fix. Use any piece of aluminum or dowel that will "fit itself" inside the cart end. Drill a hole accordingly. I'll also do this to the other end to keep from damaging the scupper hole. There is an inherent danger with leaving the cart ends to rattle around inside the very thin scupper material. If your cart doesn't extend through, be very careful. It's nothing but a "forced" fit.. I might have even buggered up the inserted end of my aluminum tube. Don't remember, but it's probably all you would need to do. Having scrap around is normal for most of us.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ya, those are the same tires I got :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't like the idea of the scupper holes supporting the heavy weight of my PA so I bought the cart that has the tires like in the picture Matt posted, the cart just slides anywhere you want under the PA and it has a strap to hold it in place (it is in Hobie's catalog). I use the same cart on my PA and Outback. It has served us well so far although I have not used it in sand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not so worried about the weight of the PA on the scupper holes because I don't think Hobie would allow for use of these carts if it weren't designed to handle it. They were definitely intended for temporary use rather than all day or night storage. The stowage of the carts is another big plus for me, both for simple day trips as well as extended trips. I am, however, working on a small platform that can be fixed to the crossbar that will make for a larger footprint. This should allow for more even weight distribution of the PA hull around the scupper holes.
What IS frustrating me are the wheel Eez tires for the Trax 2 cart. I do plan on finding replacements if Hobie doesn't come out with an alternative heavy duty tire for this cart. There is a limitation to tire diameter if one plans on using the built in rod holders for things like fishing nets and safety flags. Surely, there are tires out there with similar diameters to the Wheel Eez but some modifications may have to be made to the axle.

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt!

I'm a knew P.A. owner and have the Trax 2 new style wheels. They are great on the sand but I would also like to have a set like bicycle tire in the 12.5" range. Would they work or need extension mods.

I'm going to try to provide an image from the topic " A couple of hard working P As". If it doesn't work the wheels that I would like to have are on top of Jim's moss colored P A if it's possible you could check them out.

Tim

Well, I couldn't figure out how to insert an image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I saw those. I'm pretty sure there is limited height under the PA when on the cart. These would require a wider cart I'd bet. His looks to be different? Maybe PVC. Can't really see in the photo. We do have the standard wheels that look similar, but not as large.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah! Until I saw those wheels, I had decided to get the hard wheeled Hobie cart sooner or later. I like the large diameter wheels on Jim's cart because I think it would roll over stones and down paths easier.

What do you think would hold up better in the hills. The regular cart or the heavy duty cart!

thanks a million for the prompt reply.

Tim