Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone, I am a new pro angler owner, and I absolutely love it. A few issues here and there, but nothing that can't be fixed. Anyways, It has been a pain accessing the center hatch under cutting board. Seems like my hands cant get a good handle on bungee because seat to close. Cant adjust seat, so I came up with next best thing. Only need a few tools and works like a charm!
First you need a marker, a glass with a 2 1/2 opening, a dremel or some rotary tool w/ plastic rotary blade, and a metal file.
What all this is for, is to make two openings so your fingers can grab bungee and allow better access to center storage
1. just simply make a mark that is in-line with were bungee attaches, this mark will be made on your seat with marker.
2. now if u want, take seat off, it is much easier to use rotary tool with seat off
3. now use your glass to make an outline of were you want to cut an opening, your outline should resemble a half moon
4. now cut the the outline out and your problems are over! use metal file to clean up work, and make it look professional.
The new openings will allow much more ease of use, and allow you to access the 2 knobs that take seat off much easier
Hope this helps, I dont have big hands, and I know this has to be an issue with some of you. I just hope M. Miller reads this and can make this slight change for future Pro-anglers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Your post is a little vague. Are you talking about making the cuts to the bottom edge of the seat above the bungees? Do you have any photos of the completed mod?

Thanks

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This topic is worthless without pictures. I wanna see how you done this. I don't care to the close clearance either.

Jeremy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

might be easier and faster to just use a larger sized hole saw.............

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to pull the seat and look if I can make a new set of seat rails that moves the seat back an inch ot two. Ii it looks like it can be done, I will post the results.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will try to post pictures when i get a chance . My camera just took a dump. This post refers to the center hatch that is so hard to open, unless you have midget hands. I just made a larger opening by cutting a larger area out of seat, where you would normally grasp the bungee to open hatch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Making additional cuts in the seat is the easiest way other than relocating seat further back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess you could use a hole saw as well. but a dremmel works if u dont have one. took kayak out to see how modifivation worked, and it worked well. I used the center hatch more often cause it wasnt a pain to get open!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I pulled the seat and looked at the bottom front edge. My concern is that removing any material will weaken the front of the seat. I'm using my PA in bluewater and want to have the most durable gear/boat possible. I'm planning on making new longer rails to replace the stock ones. I only want to move the seat back an inch. I'll take some photos when I'm done with this change.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sandydiego wrote:
I pulled the seat and looked at the bottom front edge. My concern is that removing any material will weaken the front of the seat. I'm using my PA in bluewater and want to have the most durable gear/boat possible. I'm planning on making new longer rails to replace the stock ones. I only want to move the seat back an inch. I'll take some photos when I'm done with this change.

Steve

Yes, photos please!!! Worth a 1000 words... for me anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can still cut enough of what you need from seat, and still not weaken or degrade supports. Just make sure your cuts dont go passed or into the cross supports (waffle) section.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I moved the seat back 1" by drillig new holes in the seat mount rails, using some new additional stainless bolts to secure the seat rail arms together than bolting the seat ba. I can take picks if you need them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Any chance you got your camera up and running? How about some photos!!!

gldlineman wrote:
I will try to post pictures when i get a chance . My camera just took a dump. This post refers to the center hatch that is so hard to open, unless you have midget hands. I just made a larger opening by cutting a larger area out of seat, where you would normally grasp the bungee to open hatch.

Tom "Flash" Shriver
US Army Golden Knights (Retired)
Hobie Pro Angler
Wilderness Systems Commander 140
Malibu X-Factor