Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the information, I'm going out and find some for my boat.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One issue that has not been discussed in this thread is the wind effect on a large cooler. I have been trolling Lake Michigan for salmon for the past couple weeks. It has been quite windy here, and sorry to say, the PA is NOT a good boat for tracking in the wind. The location of the seat and fisherman aft of the center of lateral resistance just makes the PA want to turn upwind when it blows. This often requires some quick pedaling with a hard downwind rudder position to overcome. I have pretty much given up on using my cooler on the back deck in any sort of breeze because that just adds to the wind-catching "sail area" and aggravates the upwind tendancy. In low/no wind conditions, a cooler works fine. In windy conditions, I use a clip and pull the catch onboard when moving around.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Excellent point about the effect of wind on a big cooler. It can make a difference. I actually don't use the big one all the time, and that is one reason. Last week I fished in 15-20 kt winds, which was a challenge. Big cooler stayed at home for that trip.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wind has always made controlling my boat an issue, as I am sure probably with most of you. How about any of you guys that might have some comments on boat control in the wind chime in. Maybe some of you have some pointers the rest of us haven't thought of.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ron Papworth wrote:
Wind has always made controlling my boat an issue, as I am sure probably with most of you. How about any of you guys that might have some comments on boat control in the wind chime in. Maybe some of you have some pointers the rest of us haven't thought of.

I was always wondering if a wind catcher could be placed in the front of the boat. Perhaps a small flag/ sail placed in the front sail mount. This could be made adjustable by unrolling varying amounts of sail free of the mast. Keep adjusting until the drag equals that of the operator & cooler in the rear, creating a more balanced PA. Probably easier said than done, but i would think that it would help. Also, i would find something higher that does'nt block your vision to the front. Just some thoughts!