Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Standing Up in a PA??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:05 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am
Posts: 544
Standing UP in a PA seems to be a bit of a strugle with a bad knee and a very low center of gravity.. How do you guys/gals do it? Or a better questions would be will a rope tied to the front handle be ok? Will the handle hold up to a pull of about 200 pounds?? Matt where are you? Thanks for any help.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:41 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:15 am
Posts: 7
I am 6.1' - 235lbs and I have no problems standing up in my PA. I even fly fish standing up with no issues as long as it's a relatively calm day. The PA is pretty hard to tip but you can fall out of any boat. Just be careful.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:23 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am
Posts: 544
bradfitz wrote:
I am 6.1' - 235lbs and I have no problems standing up in my PA. I even fly fish standing up with no issues as long as it's a relatively calm day. The PA is pretty hard to tip but you can fall out of any boat. Just be careful.


My problem is the weakness of my knee... I am unable to stand up from such a low position without some help. But thanks for your response.. What I want to know is if the front handle will allow me to pull on a rope and not damage the handle... Sorry for the vageness of the question..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:33 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:46 pm
Posts: 98
rope isnt a bad idea, I use my rod holder for a brief hold jsut to get in the standing position.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:49 am
Posts: 176
I think you can use the rope tied to the front to help get you up. :shock: I understand your issue. I also have a problem with the onset of "old age" mobility. I can still get up to a standing position in the PA but it's a challenge. You won't be putting your full weight on the handle doing it as you're suggesting or asking. I'd recommend trying to get the rope to stay back nearest the hull and not out on the end of the handle. I think you'll probably be more "steadying and hoisting" at the same time. Your legs and probably the free arm will do most of the work but the rope will give you the jump start. The angle you'll be employing won't put near the weight/stress on the handle as when lifting the PA..... Saying won't is foolish. Just try to keep any stress on the handle near or below normal carrying weight. Good luck. Hope that makes sense.

_________________
Yakkingaway
Portsmouth, VA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:01 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am
Posts: 544
yakkingaway wrote:
I think you can use the rope tied to the front to help get you up. :shock: I understand your issue. I also have a problem with the onset of "old age" mobility. I can still get up to a standing position in the PA but it's a challenge. You won't be putting your full weight on the handle doing it as you're suggesting or asking. I'd recommend trying to get the rope to stay back nearest the hull and not out on the end of the handle. I think you'll probably be more "steadying and hoisting" at the same time. Your legs and probably the free arm will do most of the work but the rope will give you the jump start. The angle you'll be employing won't put near the weight/stress on the handle as when lifting the PA..... Saying won't is foolish. Just try to keep any stress on the handle near or below normal carrying weight. Good luck. Hope that makes sense.


Makes real good sense.. I won't be pulling at 200 pounds but more like 50 pounds of pull with a lot of arm lift too...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:23 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am
Posts: 544
Matt are you back at work to answer questions?? Thanks if you are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:14 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 53
Location: San Diego
They are out until Sept 1. China


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:24 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:49 am
Posts: 126
Location: garwood, nj
I have what you need. Send me an email direct and I'll shoot you a picture.
r257jediny@yahoo.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:50 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:34 pm
Posts: 53
Location: San Diego
Thinwater skinner wrote:
Standing UP in a PA seems to be a bit of a strugle with a bad knee and a very low center of gravity.. How do you guys/gals do it? Or a better questions would be will a rope tied to the front handle be ok? Will the handle hold up to a pull of about 200 pounds?? Matt where are you? Thanks for any help.


Me-225lbs / 6.2 and I have a set of ram tubes mounted on the side boards. I have used them for a controlled drop into the seat as well as a gentle handle to standup. With a small swell in the ocean I can stand and get seated now without any handle. I was thinking about a quick release belt that would attach to the side boards to keep my feet firm on the deck. Now having been out a half dozen times sighting fish I am ditching the idea. If you plant your feet on the deck and grab the siderail you can pull yourself forwad into a surfer postion. from here standup. keep your knees bent slightly and feet spread for better control.

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:19 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am
Posts: 544
Thanks, I will give it a try, but my knee does work in a fully bent position very welll...


sandydiego wrote:
Thinwater skinner wrote:
Standing UP in a PA seems to be a bit of a strugle with a bad knee and a very low center of gravity.. How do you guys/gals do it? Or a better questions would be will a rope tied to the front handle be ok? Will the handle hold up to a pull of about 200 pounds?? Matt where are you? Thanks for any help.


Me-225lbs / 6.2 and I have a set of ram tubes mounted on the side boards. I have used them for a controlled drop into the seat as well as a gentle handle to standup. With a small swell in the ocean I can stand and get seated now without any handle. I was thinking about a quick release belt that would attach to the side boards to keep my feet firm on the deck. Now having been out a half dozen times sighting fish I am ditching the idea. If you plant your feet on the deck and grab the siderail you can pull yourself forwad into a surfer postion. from here standup. keep your knees bent slightly and feet spread for better control.

Steve


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group