Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been thinking hard about a way to mount an eVolve on the transom of PA to get the kick up action like it has on the standard rudder mount for other Hobies. I'm thinking that there must be a way to modify an existing twist and stow assembly to mount on the transom bar area giving you the room to raise and lower the motor.

Biggest issues I see are:

1) Height of transom handle relative to length of shaft on the eVolve rudder mount. Would a mount in this area put the propeller too shallow to be effective?

2) Distance from existing rudder. Would this put the thrust too close to the existing rudder to negatively affect steering? I'm assuming that the motor would be in a fixed orientation when deployed.

3) Would require additional rigging lines to be run for up/down. Even more (second steering drum etc.) if you wanted to steer like other rudder mounted hobies. This appears to be a common feature to all systems Bass Yaks etc...

I think the Hobie engineers were working this early on as a PA option, but I could not find any recent updates on it.

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We did have a prototype or two kicking around here early on, but the rudder mount on the PA has not made any progress. If we do come up with a viable solution we will be sure to keep our dealers, and forum users informed. (but nothing to report on this today - sorry.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I purchased a Torqeedo because I wanted a transom mount so I could use the mirage drive at the same time ........... been thinking about the same thing ........ contact me and lets talk .........

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I saw on the bass-yak site a picture of a PA with on transom mount.It was manually raised and lowered by a spring mount.It will kick up if you hit something but,you have to lower it manually again.Steering was done through the rudder system as normal.
They removed the back handle and mounted the bracket directly to the hull behind the rudder drum.They replaced the handles with 2 rope handles.
It looks like a good idea. I have an evolve for my PA but use the thru-hull location for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
We did have a prototype or two kicking around here early on, but the rudder mount on the PA has not made any progress. If we do come up with a viable solution we will be sure to keep our dealers, and forum users informed. (but nothing to report on this today - sorry.)

No affiliation, but have been following several threads....Have you explored the Tom Kirkman propulsion system? Looks like a viable alternative...?

(Sorry in advance TK if this goes in an undesirable direction - I just couldn't help it)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SteveLIBS wrote:
Jbernier wrote:

No affiliation, but have been following several threads....Have you explored the Tom Kirkman propulsion system? Looks like a viable alternative...?

(Sorry in advance TK if this goes in an undesirable direction - I just couldn't help it)

God ....PLEASE don't bring that up again ........... Tom won't share it so it is not viable and it has been covered over and over and over and over and over etc ........

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a system coming but the proto got screwed up by the fabricator.

Later....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was offered to Hobie. They said they were working on their own system and thus turned it down. I didn't ask any questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you can mount the twist and stow rudder on the back with the evolve attached, I would suggest keeping your PA rudder up and install an under seat steering assembly from the older style PA's. I've seen them sold for about $85 online. That way you can steer easily.