Post subject: anchor trolley
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

does anyone have any pics of a anchor trolley installed on a pro angler

Post subject: Re: anchor trolley
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Post edited below with pics.

Here is a picture of my anchor trolly (it's not a good one of just the trolly sorry). I redone it yesterday where the clip for the anchor/stakeout pole/drag anchor is now on the bottom. I also heat shrunk all of the connections for a cleaner look. It's just basically 2 pullies, 14" of shock cord, and a clip.

Last edited by MidTNKayakAngler on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can't see the image, would love some good pictures.

Specifically, where did you mount the pulleys and the clips?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I mounted the pully's approx 1 ft from the front and the rear. I mounted the clip in the middle of the bottom rope. I used the instructions from here http://www.austinkayak.com/products/982/Hobie-Anchor-Trolley-Kit.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, That is the kit I purchased.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The only different recommendation from the illustration from ACK is to mount it lower on the hull especially on the front. I mounted mie at the height illustrated, and I get the trolly comming up onto my mounting boards sometimes. The one pictured on the ACK site it on the Revolution I beleive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

OK, now I need a picture before I begin drilling holes.

Looks like most of these are mounted on the left side. Why? Does it matter? As a right handed person I thought I would prefer it on the right side as I tend to cast on the left side of the boat.

Also, do I need to seal the holes?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are the best pictures I could find of my anchor trolly. No particular reason it's on the left, but I do like it there. I have been using it that way since the middle of Sept. I have had it out for about 20 trips, October was a bad month or we would have logged in about 30 trips. I'm right handed also and have not incurred any problems. I just try to keep the fish off of the anchor line. I fish from the right and left sides about equally.

I did use SS bolts and washers for the installation and coated them with Lexel. The Lexel is not necessary because if you get water up that high you have bigger problems. Well to think of it sometimes when I'm standing on the rear platform the water comes over the rear pully, but I haven't had any trouble with seepage.

Like I said in an earlier post the front pully is mounted a little to high, and I might move it lower in the future.

EDIT: Reposted the pictures with the front anchor trolly located higher on the hull.

Last edited by MidTNKayakAngler on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i made mine without drilling...not very pretty but functional.
tied cord to the front and rear handle..just a loop.
then threaded a length of cord through them to make a "clothesline"
added a carabiner to one side and a cleat to the mounting strip...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also mounted mine using existing hardware. Handles. I've done it that way on the Outbacks and will do it that way on the Pro Angler if I decide to do it. I'm still getting the newness out of my system before I make any mods. I do a loop using the handles. The line will find it's way inside the kayak on occasion but it's a small matter to keep it organized. I've also found myself not taking the anchor and trolley with me on more occasions than I do. Anchoring isn't quite so important any more with not having to use a paddle to maneuver. I can 'flutter kick' in any current and maintain my position or 'slip' side to side to maneuver along a bridge or other structure. By using existing hardware, you can test you're system or move it from side to side without adding more holes. I suggest you do it with a loop first... use it ..... then decide if you want to double up hardware for both sides or leave it on existing hardware. If you think about it, all you have to do to change sides is flip it over the top of the kayak and gear.... waaalaaaa it's on the other side.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What size anchor would you recommend for the AI? I was hoping to park near a prospective surf break for a few runs on my short board.

Admin note: (YouTube URL required with BBC "[youtube]URL[/youtube]")

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I did the anchor trolley on one of my PA's yesterday. Will do the other today. To get the forward pulley I needed to unscrew the rod tubes up in the bow. I mounted all of the hardware right on the edge of the seam between the top and bottom of the boat. For the clips I mounted them approximately 10 inches in front/ behind the handle on the side. I purchased a cam cleat for the anchor, any suggestions on where to mount it?

Gathered all the stuff for the Fish finder install, will get that done today as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Where I located my pulley on the front no rod tubes needed removed, just slightly moved, I did have it located higher up on the hull, but it (the tope) kept coming up over the top of the hull. So I located the front pulley a little lower and works like a charm now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are some pics which may help. My time with college lately has let me out of the game, I will be back come spring....college or no college. Email me direct if you need help, since I'm rarely here...wish I simply had more time. [email protected] . MJ.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice pictures of the anchor trolley installed.
can I ask you what kind of trailer you are using to transport the PA?