Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fishin in the wind
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Before I buy something substantial I like to justify in my mind how I'm going to use it, when I'm going to use it, and am I going to like it when it's here...you know just mole it over. Well, today I went fishing in my 9' pontoon kick boat which is outfitted with a 55 lb Minkota trolling motor connected to the biggest deep cycle battery Optima makes and I still managed to drain the battery down to 65% due to my efforts to hold position of productive fishing spots. I tried my 15 lb mushroom anchor, which is deployed via Scotty anchor mount, but because I don't have an anchor trolly it was difficult to maintain position. Soooo, today I dreamt about fishing out of the PA 14 and have it outfitted with 2 anchor trolleys.

1) Is having 2 anchor trolleys a luxury or necessity?

2) Mushroom, Bruce claw, folding grapple, or some other type of anchor...which do you prefer, and why?

Thanks fellas.

Post subject: Re: Fishin in the wind
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is no reason to use an anchor that heavy if you understand the principles behind effective anchoring and the relationship between water depth and anchor lead length. I can anchor any kayak I have, including the PA, with a 3lb anchor in strong current or wind. It's not weight that holds you - it's anchor type and angle.

One very effective way to utilize the Mirage Drive system is to position yourself into the wind and use the pedal drive to hold you in one spot. It's not terribly hard to do in most cases.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom. I've used a grapple hook anchor in the past, and I usually let out 2 sometimes 3x the line to water depth. I'm just curious as to what type of anchoring system you (and others) prefer and do you like/not like the idea of having two trolley's on the PA?

Someone wrote a while back that they used a mushroom anchor because they like pin point anchoring. I love that idea but how much of a mess does it leave on deck? Kinda difficult to store a 15 lb weight neatly on the PA. :wink:

Thanks for your help Tom.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pretty much like Tom said. I have Hobie's anchor with the four folding flutes and an anchor trolley. It works fine for the conditions and bottom that I fish. I've never had much success with a mushroom anchor in wind or current because it doesn't bite. Matching anchor type to bottom type is important:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Selecting-the-Right-Anchor

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quick tip on those folding anchors if you're in areas with lots of debris. Most of them have a hole at the "bottom" of the anchor. This is where you want to tie off at. You'll then run your rope to the "top" (where it is normally tied when you get it) and put a small zip-tie on it.

This way, if your anchor becomes "lodged" in something, you can give it a good heave, break the tie-wrap and pull the anchor up from the "bottom" which will usually make it much easier to dislodge if it is "hung" in something.

Also.... make certain to put a "quick release" on your anchor dolly and know how to use it. Loads and loads of fun to simply reach down with one hand and come off anchor when a big bite comes on and go for a ride! Of course, there are other times when you might need to get off anchor quick as well. You will need to make sure you have a floaty of some sort on the bitter end so you can come back after your "ride" and retrieve the anchor and line.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like Tom, I have found that the best defense in moderate winds is an equal and opposite offense. Fishing for perch this spring, I was challenged to hold position over relatively small very tight schools in 15-25 MPH wind and 70 FOW. Anchoring is not an option because of the depth, changing winds causing you to swing away from the school, and the fact that just dropping an anchor will often break up the school. Drift chute will not hold well in these conditions, but "treading water" with the Mirage Drive worked out fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

turtle2 wrote:
Quick tip on those folding anchors if you're in areas with lots of debris. Most of them have a hole at the "bottom" of the anchor. This is where you want to tie off at. You'll then run your rope to the "top" (where it is normally tied when you get it) and put a small zip-tie on it. Also make certain to put a "quick release" on your anchor dolly and know how to use it.......

turtle, Well said. I remember reading a post(s) regarding both the quick release and the zip tie. Are they yours and/or can you point to the URL's?

_____
_<>-+ copterchief

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

turtle2 wrote:
Quick tip on those folding anchors if you're in areas with lots of debris. Most of them have a hole at the "bottom" of the anchor. This is where you want to tie off at. You'll then run your rope to the "top" (where it is normally tied when you get it) and put a small zip-tie on it.

This way, if your anchor becomes "lodged" in something, you can give it a good heave, break the tie-wrap and pull the anchor up from the "bottom" which will usually make it much easier to dislodge if it is "hung" in something.

Yeah. I recently learned that little trick after watching several YouTube videos. That knowledge would have came in handy last year on the Snake river where there seems to be more obstacles than river. :mrgreen: