Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sunday the 26th, got to the High Island area(on the Texas Gulf Coast) about 9:00 am and about 10 kayakers were already on the water. I launched about 10 am and as I got past the breakers, there was tons of bait fish in the muddy water. I anchor up and fish this area for about 45 minutes without nary a bite...........not even a gafftop! :shock:

I paddle out to where most others were fishing and Cliftonio says he already had 7 bull reds boated. This seems like a good place to anchor up and I do. I only get one bull red at this spot.

I catch a couple of slimers (gafftops) and I decide to move to deeper water............a good move. Just as I am about to move a kayaker comes along and wants a pic of his first double bull red catch.

At my new spot, I started catching fish.

The slimers were there, too..............so I started fishing with big baits............wow, that brought big fish.

I caught some of the biggest bull red of the season, for me.

Well, they all weren't big! :wink:

Jonesy shows up late and I tell him to potlick me and he does and immediately starts catching fish.

The bull red bite was very timid and I had about 3 fish swallow the hook.

I had two of these.....................doubles!

All told I had somewhere between 12-15 bull reds caught with most of them coming after 12:00 pm. We had a brisk North wind but no big waves. The barometer was 29.78.

Finally I ran out of bait and decided to go in. As I made the rounds telling most that I was going in, I happened by SaltyKat as he was bringing in a bull red.

Ta Da!!!!

It was a good day to be on the water and I believe everyone caught enough fish to feel the trip was worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dude, you're kicking ass in that Hobie. Wonderful stuff, great pics. Kudos brother, keep up the catching; and keep those reports coming.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

awesome pics! Keep em' coming! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That looks like so much fun! How are they on the 'chew'? (I'm in Australia, and we don't have them here.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Red drum fish are good eating and the keeper slot size is 20-28 inches.

The fish we catch offshore are bull reds and are the primary breeders for the species. We only practice CPR (catch, photo and release). The bull reds, are tough to clean, some have worms in them and tough to eat........in Texas, you can only keep one over 28 inches per year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mythman wrote:

The fish we catch offshore are bull reds and are the primary breeders for the species. We only practice CPR (catch, photo and release). The bull reds, are tough to clean, some have worms in them and tough to eat........in Texas, you can only keep one over 28 inches per year.

Very honourable. How do they know if it's your first fish for the year? Are all fishermen honest people? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bozzie wrote:
mythman wrote:

Very honourable. How do they know if it's your first fish for the year? Are all fishermen honest people? :lol:

You have to tag them with a tag off your fishing license..............because, unfortunately, not all fishermen are honest people!!! :)