Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

Since I've been mentioned here, I'll just clear up a couple of things.

1) I did recommend to Tom that he get intellectual property protection on his design so that we can talk openly about it, without him putting his idea at risk. That's a good move for anyone with an idea they want to bring to market. That's where we left our discussion and at this point the ball is in Tom's court and I'm sure after he does due diligence in protecting his idea we'll get into some details about the design.

2) Regarding YakAttack products, we have patents pending on several of them. Patents take a long time to get...

I really don't know what Tom has, but I see no reason to doubt his claims unless I have a good reason to do so. I'd like to look at his design, and if I think it's something we want to be involved with I hope it works out. If not, no big deal.

In the meantime, interesting discussion! nice to see guys bouncing ideas around looking for a "better way". That's one of the traits that made the United States of America great!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

test

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Many of the things we all use in terms of kayaks and fishing rods were designed by Tom, but many people may not know this. His reputation in the fishing industry speaks for itself but I notice he does not put his affiliations down next to his signature on any posts here. Too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am Sorry, Tom.
I thought you'd at the very least shown them the unit before they didn't want to commit to it.
You're actions and words don't seem to dovetail very well.... you tell us you want to provide this to the Yak community but then you can't get it to market....
What can we do for ya? You need a leg broke? an arm twisted? Fire-bomb someone's house? No?
Well how 'bout a petition then?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Perhaps I haven't explained myself very well. I'll try one last time. I designed and built something for myself and a buddy. It works great and we're very happy with it. I already have a job and do not have time to build or market PA motor systems. I didn't design and build it for that reason. I have had a great many requests for it from other PA owners and thus have offered it to several companies that have inquired. At least one claimed they were almost ready to market it. Hobie said they felt the Torqeedo would be preferred by most. Luther would like some assurance that if he did bring it to market, another company couldn't just step in and knock it off, making his investment far less attractive.

But it makes no difference to me if it makes it to the market or not. The system is already doing exactly what I designed and built it for - powering my PA.

And for anyone that's upset because I won't personally build or sell my system to them, just write it off as a hoax. It doesn't really exist. Go hang a trolling motor on your PA and be happy. The PA is easy to power by any number of different means.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
And for anyone that's upset because I won't personally build or sell my system to them, just write it off as a hoax. It doesn't really exist. Go hang a trolling motor on your PA and be happy. The PA is easy to power by any number of different means.

:lol:

Tom has a point guys. He's trying to get something done with his idea, and that may take a little time. It's his idea - don't you think he's entitled to handle it how he sees fit? I can understand the frustration that it's been "shown off" while the nuts and bolts have been kept secret, but IMHO, the tone on this thread has become really personal and I can't understand why.

While Tom's lack of detail may be frustrating, he has done nothing wrong. Why not just wait and see where this goes and keep it friendly in the meantime?

Believe me, I'd love to get some details right now so I can figure out if and how this fits into next year's plans, but I understand Tom wanting to have his idea secure before disclosing the details. How we proceed is up to Tom not me, and I respect his right to handle it in whatever way he's comfortable with.

If I wanted a solution "right now" I would take Tom's advice and figure out for myself what I think is the best way to power a PA. But I don't see any reason to push on him to give more detail than he's comfortable giving.

Just my $.02

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, I wish I had your skills and patience. I also envy you having so much fun with your PA. When I'm playing with my toys....I do everything wrong first and out of the mess come something useful. Like my fish finder mount, remounting my seat and simple rod holders. Perfect !!! I also learn so much from you guys and it drives my enthusiasm to play...... The fat bass post was amazing...Did you see that ???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, that system looks awesome. When I started this thread last year these technologies were not out there. As I stated, motorized kayaks are the new wave of the future, and your system amazes me. I love my Bassyak system, but if there's something out there better and makes my life easier I'm going with it. Best of luck in the progression with your motor system, I think you have a winner there. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry I've been off the forum for so long, I've been in School and have had little time to fish or be on the internet. I'm back now till Sept 2012, so expect to see many fish posted here. HAHA.
I'm doing a kayakfishing seminar on Jan 15th 2012 @ raritan expo show in Edison NJ. Hope to see some of you there. many secrets will be shared, and you will be putting more fish over the rails. It's not luck when you catch nearly everytime out, I'm happy to teach anyone how to be just as successful; always been that way always will be. MJ

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I got the Torqeedo and I LOVE it ........... only wish someone would come up with a twist and stow type mount on the back bar for the PA. The ball mount is ok but I love the Evolve mount on the Outback/Revo ...........

Also thinking about their solar battery charger ........ a little expensive but you can troll ALL day without draining the battery at all ............ this way you can have full speed going and coming

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm sorry to bring this up again but i read this whole thread and am surprised not to see that nobody has not mounted a bowmount trolling motor to their PA the back of the PA is flat and you could diffidently mount one and with all of minn kottas options these days you could have the ipolit and have a very good system going sure you are going to have to drill holes in your PA but it will work great and if you don't go through some crazy waters like surfs or rapids and don't have the risk of flipping you could just put the batteries right there. you could have a 101 pound thrust motor and zoom across the water yeah its going to take alot of space for 36 volts but the cargo area is HUGE!

Or i have been watching Toms videos and think i got it........................ sortta he cut of the motor of a trolling motor just the bottom part and managed to mount is to the back handle of the PA and got a little control panel next to his seat. could be wrong though

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chase

I don't think mounting an Ipilot on the stern would work, as it is meant to pull a boat not push it. If you used it to follow tracks or autopilot it would be pulling you backwards :arrow: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jdee, all you have to do is rotate the head 180 and it is pushing than pulling. It will still track or foloow a route

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gotcha The gps unit in the I-pilot dictates the course and would not know which direction the nose of the PA is facing at any time so it would push it all over the place. Like trying to push a popsicle stick across a table, goes great if you stay in a straight line, but as soon as you change course you loose control of direction! If you pull the popsicle stick it will always go in the direction it is pulled.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This, or somthing similar to it is what Tom K is running.

http://auvac.org/community-information/ ... /view/1021

You can catch a glimpse at the beginning of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TUICsMM ... ature=plcp

Looks like a simple mount on the rear carry handle ?

If the power source is solar, salt water or beer this would be a winner, but I suspect a more expensive lithium type deal.

But I am a judge not an engineer, so wtf do i know ??

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 21  Next