Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

RHale wrote:
"So, if he puts on a "big rod building expo" every year, I would assume he is around a fair amount of people that are in the business of fishing and boating. How is it that he has so much access is the fishing product world, but can't get someone to commit on his design? That is where I wonder if it is all it is being made out to be."

He has said several times that someone is working on producing it. He is not known for making stuff up. If he says it works then it works and the videos prove that it works.

We know it works, that is not up for debate. The question is why does he think it is better than other options? What makes it stand out? A simple question really.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Xi Bowhunter wrote:
You should "let it go", and let the man answer the questions directed at him and his idea for his self, as he sees fit. If he doesn't want to answer any questions, he can ignore the thread. He is the one that has been hyping-up this idea, and naturally people are curious about how it works, and why it is better. So yes, I still think it has been a lot of noise with no music.

Are you dilusional? He has already answered the questions several times. His answer is, and has always been; He's not saying ANYTHING....I would go through this thread and count how many times he's said that, but I don't have the patience for it because it's enough to get an answer. I'll bet you've even PMd him asking for answers. But as you said yourself, he doesn't have to answer anything. Yet, every response he puts, you quote it and ask another question, which is the same stupid question that has been running for the last 7 pages; and you get the same answer. It's a propulsion system, that weighs 30+ lbs. and is capable of speeds up to and over 8mph, but a comfortable continuous speed of 5mph for several hours. Lets see, what else....there is some type of special part which he has a company interested in, but in order to mass produce, it'll have to be injection molded. I could go on and on, but it's all in the thread. Maybe you should take time to actually read it.

Also, he hasn't "hyped up" anything. He has said what it is (a propulsion system) and what it is capable of. He's answered the questions he's going to.

How is that hard to understand. Even better....
Tom Kirkman wrote:
As I have stated several times, It is being produced by a 3rd party. I have no idea when it will be on the market. It is my system and I'm sorry you feel that I am obligated to divulge the design or workings to you or anyone else - I'm not.

Anyone that is adept at such things should be able to concoct their own powered PA system without needing to see mine.

That's my last word on this particular subject.

How is THAT hard to understand.

I am not defending Tom Kirkman.....I am opposing stupidity.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Xi Bowhunter wrote:
No offense, but this is pretty laughable. You have no idea what the members of this forum are capable of. I've built a lot of things in my day to keep from having to buy an over-priced, mass-produced product. It doesn't take an engeneer to come up with every idea out there.

3. I won't talk about it here anymore. But we will continue to use ours and film some videos of them on the water for YouTube.

No offense, but that is laughable. What was your objective there....humiliation? I doubt you succeeded if it was because when the rubber meets the road, he's the one with the system that you're wanting to know about....so who's the one that is humiliated? Then you say you've built a lot of things...so build a freakin' propulsion system **LMAO**

Then, he says again that he will not talk about it anymore.

Anyway, that's also the last I'll post on this topic....and it has been lit on fire and beat out with a chain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Someone's sure got their pantys in a twist! Lol. I just stated what I have read, a lot of talk with no answers. Nobody is trying to humiliate anyone here, but you now, and it was a pretty lame attempt at that.

Let the man reply if he wants, he can also ignore it if he wishes. I'm sure if he is as reputable as you say, he can handle his own questions.

Your assumption about me PM'ing him is also wrong, but that's pretty well par for the course with your assumptions. I've only had my PA a couple of weeks now, so I'm still just researching ideas for it. That is how I came across this thread. But reading it was just a bunch of praise for a system that may or may not be better than anything else out there. So simply asked, "why is it so much better than other motor systems?"

Can you understand THAT? Again, a simple question really, and one that could be answered without giving any of the magic potion away I'm sure.

So keep replying back if you want, and I'll do the same, makes no difference to me. I'm just sticking around to see if the idea ever gets off the ground, and try to find out what all the fuss is about. I do hope he makes a killing off his idea, but I can't jump on the praise bandwagon until he let's people in on why it is so special.

And since it got personal again, I guess I will have to stick around just to see your attempt to be the hero against stupidity. Another assumption that couldn't be any further from the truth.

Is THAT something you can comprehend?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow... this thread is like a soap opera... I think I shall call it: AS The Motor Turns....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

redwolf3773 wrote:
Wow... this thread is like a soap opera... I think I shall call it: AS The Motor Turns....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As a PA owner of a couple of seasons, I have been watching, with intrest, this thread and others, for some time now. I believe, from reading his posts, that Tom Kirkman is a very bright, and creative guy. I suspect that,he has come up with a very simple, dare I say, elegant, propulsion system for the PA. This system requires an unique component which, for mass consumption, must be injection moulded. This component is not adaptable, according to Tom. This therefore, limits the pool of potential purchasers to those of us fortunate souls who are owners of "the Rolls Royce" of the angling kayak world. Total number - I really don't know (it is, however something to which one aspires.). The numbers are sure to increase. The unique component is obviously very simple, and should any of us lesser mortals see it we would probably say, in unison, "Why didn't I think of that?"or "I could make one of those". Mr Kirkman,( bless his soul) is obviously not interested in either manufacturing or marketing his system. I suspect he would be perfectly happy with a royalty, or licensing (per unit) arrangement. The only fly in the ointment, I believe, is that this system does not have a universality which would vastly increase its pool of customers and thus lessen the time for the manufacturer to pay off production costs and enter a profitable phase.
I would challenge any of the naysayers/critics to walk a mile in Tom's moccasins (with the potential to actually make some money from this design), to conduct themselves in any manner other than he has to this point.
To Tom, I wish you all success in finding a company willing to take on the job and provide all of us PA owners with the ability to propel our angling platforms without major modifications, with a minimum of effort and a retail price of between $4 & $500.00.
I respect your business acumen and your decisions regarding your invention. My respect has not tempered my curiosity. I anxiously await my opportunity to view this unique component and add my voice to the chorus of "Why didn't I think of that?"
Good on you, Tom. Regards......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I gotta ask. Why is this bowhunter dude all over Tom for being the "original poster" touting the "wave of the future"? The 1st post appears to be from sifisto, not Tom - and he didnt come in trying to sell anything, but just engaged in a conversation and then kindly answered some questions, over and over again. Bowboy appears to be confused. Maybe he's from the guild.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SteveLIBS wrote:
I gotta ask. Why is this bowhunter dude all over Tom for being the "original poster" touting the "wave of the future"? The 1st post appears to be from sifisto, not Tom - and he didnt come in trying to sell anything, but just engaged in a conversation and then kindly answered some questions, over and over again. Bowboy appears to be confused. Maybe he's from the guild.

Read the thread stevie, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

redwolf3773 wrote:

Could be a reality show, called Hobie Wars :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

CurtnAz wrote:
redwolf3773 wrote:

LOL!!! Yes... and the motor in question could be the "stealth motor"!!!

Tune in for the next episode tomorrow same time same place!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

redwolf3773 wrote:
CurtnAz wrote:
redwolf3773 wrote:

LOL!!! Yes... and the motor in question could be the "stealth motor"!!!

Tune in for the next episode tomorrow same time same place!

YES!!! But you have to have someone with an aussie accent, or something like that :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tom, any word on you system? when will be aviable to us? Is it stil the same price of 500$ The serpentine systems is 680$ with shipping.

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

gotcha; What system is the "serpentine system" that you mention?? Where can I find info, or photos of it?? Regards....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Shimanoman wrote:
gotcha; What system is the "serpentine system" that you mention?? Where can I find info, or photos of it?? Regards....

x 2....

Did a google search and came up with nothing. Only thing I could guess, would be a motor, connected to a serpentine belt, and the other end a propeller of some sort....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next