Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For those of you that fish offshore in your Pro Anglers, what are your feelings about using ama's or stabilizers when out in swells and wind? Try not to go when it is bigger than 3 ft and more than 15 mph, things can quickly out there. Turtled my PA12 on a nice day by a rogue wave. When out in bigger water, I guess you pay more attention.
I'd like to know what you feel are the advantages and disadvantages of outriggers on the Pro Angler. Also is it better to place them forward or behind the seat?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm a relative newbie to kayaks so don't take my opinion alone, but I believe it's a good idea. A negative would be the chance of fish getting you tangled. Probably pretty likely offshore even.

I bass fish mostly on Lake Guntersville. LOTS of grass. So I pitch a jig from June - September. In the Fall, we fish slop frogs on top of the mats. Neither of which can be done sitting down. I'm a big guy and don't think I'll ever feel stable enough to do those two things without pontoons. Falling out or turtling is one thing in open water but in mats of hydrilla and milfoil could be deadly.

I've been looking at the ones offered by Standnfish.com. On the PA, he places them pretty far to the back.

I would definitely like to hear other opinions as well.

A bad day fishing beats a good day at work every time!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Personally, I wouldn't go with ama's. The PA's are pretty stable on their own without them. If you should turtle with ama's, I'm not sure how you would go about righting the boat. You really don't need ama's on a PA.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You will love the stand and fish set up! I do mine. After almost rolling out twice while standing on my PA12 and lots of thinking if it was really necessary, I pulled the trigger on the whole set up, outriggers and leaning stand. Man! I am so glad I did. The out riggers lift out a few inches when on the way to a new area and then down when I would like to stand and fish. The back rest is padded and out of the way for casting. Check out there video. Good luck with your add on's. If you have any questions shoot me a line.

Later, MM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Once past the surf, the PA's are quite stable and I have had mine in 4-5 foot waves without any problems.

It's the short, choppy surf waves that cause the PA problems and you don't want stabilizers there as they will get torn up!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish offshore in mine quite a bit. I stand and sight fish out of it all the time out there. I wouldnt add anything to it as it would be just more gear to get in your way. Take it out past the breakers and try it with no gear but I bet you will be surprised how stable standing it is. Dont stand like a surfboard but have your feet even width apart in the wide part and you will be fine. I fly fish out of mine offshore and even with that movement, I never really feel unstable. Just dont try it in big waves.

Outriggers and such, in my opinion are dangerous off shore. more stuff for a big fish to get caught up in and more gear hauling in and out of the surf zone. Try it without anything first.

Regrards