Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sail for PA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

They want $400. + tax :shock: for it ,you guys tell me is it worth the investment ,will it really help to go farther with the right wind :?: or come back quicker :roll:

Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dunno, I just use my legs, and occasionally a golf umbrella. I know one guy that got one and likes it, just not for me tho.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

As an investment, I would say they hold their value pretty well. Try to find a used one.

If you enjoy sailing, it's nice to pop the sail out and glide along. IMO, the PA has good stability with the sail and I enjoyed using it. I do like to sail though.

As a tool, if you're willing to learn to use it, it can work as a hybrid power source. Keep in mind there is a maximum and minimum wind requirement and directional limitations. Carrying it onboard, you want to make sure it doesn't interfere with your fishing equipment or activities.

If you decide to get one, there are some rigging tips that make the sail easier to use. You should plan to add the price of one Micro-block at minimum (for better sheeting). 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
As an investment, I would say they hold their value pretty well. Try to find a used one.

If you enjoy sailing, it's nice to pop the sail out and glide along. IMO, the PA has good stability with the sail and I enjoyed using it. I do like to sail though.

As a tool, if you're willing to learn to use it, it can work as a hybrid power source. Keep in mind there is a maximum and minimum wind requirement and directional limitations. Carrying it onboard, you want to make sure it doesn't interfere with your fishing equipment or activities.

If you decide to get one, there are some rigging tips that make the sail easier to use. You should plan to add the price of one Micro-block at minimum (for better sheeting). 8)

Does look good on that pic ,what Micro bloc :?: and where :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

x2.....we need more on this PA sail....pics of the micro and such....i want to buy one and have the cash just need some more info and people with personal experiences....i wish there was a way to furl the sail quickly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a sail 2 years ago and still have not used it! :o

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

check u tube for videos on how to furl your sail quickly, there several videos on it

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:08 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

canadianboy wrote:
,what Micro bloc :?: and where :?
A microblock is just a small pulley -- looks like this:

Its job is to eliminate friction in the "main sheet" and make the sail more responsive to quick and easy handling. On the PA it attaches to the padeye just aft of the cargo well. One end connects to the sail and the the other is held in your hand. It can be cleated off in light winds.

If you're new to sailing, there are a few things to learn before using it while fishing. The last thing you want is to capsize in a sudden wind gust with your fishing gear not tethered -- it might tend to leave you with a bad impression.

1. Read up on basic sailing and sail handling what makes the sail pull the boat upwind, what wind directions you can sail how to present the sail to the wind, turning (tacks, jibes, etc), how the centerboard works (your fins act as your centerboard) and so forth.

2. Rig your boat with the block. I find it much simpler to permanently separate the mainsheet from the sail for quick sail set-up and take down -- just connect it with a snap hook:
Make a separate small "tail" to secure the sail:
Image Image

3. Practice sailing (including raising and lowering sail) without any fishing gear until you get comfortable with the procedure with some decent wind and get used to the heel. Learn how to luff when necessary and how to tack as a substitute for jibing when the wind is gusty.

4. You'll be a pro in no time. Have a blast! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:

You'll be a pro in no time. Have a blast! 8)

He's not kidding. I learned to sail my AI by myself by doing just what Roadrunner said above. It's not difficult, and you'll be comfortable very quickly. You'll find that you sail, not for more speed, or for easier pedalling, you'll just do it because it's fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
canadianboy wrote:
,what Micro bloc :?: and where :?
A microblock is just a small pulley -- looks like this:

Its job is to eliminate friction in the "main sheet" and make the sail more responsive to quick and easy handling. On the PA it attaches to the padeye just aft of the cargo well. One end connects to the sail and the the other is held in your hand. It can be cleated off in light winds.

If you're new to sailing, there are a few things to learn before using it while fishing. The last thing you want is to capsize in a sudden wind gust with your fishing gear not tethered -- it might tend to leave you with a bad impression.

1. Read up on basic sailing and sail handling what makes the sail pull the boat upwind, what wind directions you can sail how to present the sail to the wind, turning (tacks, jibes, etc), how the centerboard works (your fins act as your centerboard) and so forth.

2. Rig your boat with the block. I find it much simpler to permanently separate the mainsheet from the sail for quick sail set-up and take down -- just connect it with a snap hook:
Make a separate small "tail" to secure the sail:
Image Image

3. Practice sailing (including raising and lowering sail) without any fishing gear until you get comfortable with the procedure with some decent wind and get used to the heel. Learn how to luff when necessary and how to tack as a substitute for jibing when the wind is gusty.

4. You'll be a pro in no time. Have a blast! 8)
Thanks for the info well done

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's worth every penny in my opinion. Just remember that you need to learn how to sail - a sail is an airfoil, you can move in any direction, including into the wind, except for a narrow area about 40 degrees directly into the wind.

I chose the PA to learn how to get the feel for using and trimming the sail. When you get it right and sail is properly trimmed, it'll pop and you'll be amazed at the feeling. I finally understand why people who love to sail, love to sail. It's quite an experience.

You won't roll the PA with the Hobie sail, but you can sure set it on edge. "Sailing for Dummies" is actually a pretty darn good book. Buy it, read it and try it. You may forget about fishing for a bit while you have fun sailing. It's addictive.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tom Kirkman wrote:
It's worth every penny in my opinion. Just remember that you need to learn how to sail - a sail is an airfoil, you can move in any direction, including into the wind, except for a narrow area about 40 degrees directly into the wind.

I chose the PA to learn how to get the feel for using and trimming the sail. When you get it right and sail is properly trimmed, it'll pop and you'll be amazed at the feeling. I finally understand why people who love to sail, love to sail. It's quite an experience.

You won't roll the PA with the Hobie sail, but you can sure set it on edge. "Sailing for Dummies" is actually a pretty darn good book. Buy it, read it and try it. You may forget about fishing for a bit while you have fun sailing. It's addictive.
Sound good being in my early 50 ty.... and fishing fanatic the only sailing i have done on my own was windsurfing in my early 20, 3 years or so ,and had a lot of fun,so why not .thank for the info.. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's actually got me wanting to buy a full out sail boat of some kind. It's really that much fun, and challenging to work with the wind and get the sail trimmed and the course figured out.