Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went and picked up my camper today and brought it to the house for a trip comming up only to find out that the dream I had of it fitting through the door and around the corner with the slide out that if might fit! No not even close. I have a 5th wheel camper so nothing can go on or above the bed of the truck it going to have to be on the cab and forward of the hood. Do or has anyone see anyone do this. Any good brands or things to look for when trying to get a rack? Thanks for the help.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 0755_n.jpg

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Top of the trailer??

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On top of the truck cab or on the back of the 5th wheel bow or stern up.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The usrack web site has a Fifth Wheel Truck Cab Rack (RV) that looks nice. I don't know anything about it, just saw it on their website. Cost start around $599 and go up, depending on model. If the kayak stuck out too far in front, could also add a truck bed extender if you had a hitch on the front bumper.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I can show you what I do in that exact situation. If I can find the photos. Anyway, I got a front hitch arrangement that bolts on to the tow hooks. Then I took two of the cheap "bed extenders" and fabricated a forward arrangement to have the kayak over the hood, out front and used a single roof rack to hold the back. If I didn't have the cover on the back of the truck covering the forward pockets, I'd have made something for that to come up over the cab instead of using the roof rack. Bodiac makes the front hitch bolt on.
ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is perfect! Looks like I had better get myself in gear tomorrow if I plan on taking it with me this weekend. How does it ride up there? Notice any new noises or loss of sight from the front rack?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOw that is a set up, very creative. How hard is it to get the PA up there?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also have a fifth wheel. Previously, I have been able to carry my 2 Outbacks on a Yakima roof rack and got by with loading them just slightly forward of center.

Now that I have a PA, I'll be adding a front loading/support bar like Yakkingaway shows in his post.

2005 Hobie Outback (2)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry for not getting back to you. No, I have a great time with it. Of course, now that I have the PA and an Outback, I don't put them both up there. I was ok with the two Outbacks, but that PA is a horse.... I just don't put a lot of stock in the "roofs" of the new trucks. If I had the same sort of arrangement coming out of the most forward stake pockets of the bed, I'd feel better. I've not had a good time with the rack I'm using over the roof because it's not as good a fit as I'd like. I take measures to keep the kayak up there by securing it well to the front system that isn't going anywhere. The rear could just be a cushion if you didn't mind the results on the roof itself. The clearance for the 5Er is whatever you want it to be. Rides well, no noise, no visibility issues. The one thing I do notice is a little "floating" as I get up in speed. Not the truck of course, just the kayak and the front mount getting light. Inch of movement probably. That's just the slop in the fit of the rig itself. Basically the kayak goes airborne...(but it's attached securely to the hitch) it's fun to watch. I know that at that speed, the truck isn't really carrying any weight up front. :D I've had thoughts of a brace from the vertical to the horizontal member to eliminate that some but as long as it's secure to the rig, it's not doing anything but reacting to the wind currents under it. It's not violent. I thought the brace would cause it to be more of a jerk action and didn't want that. With a head wind it starts that action under 70mph. :mrgreen:

Last edited by yakkingaway on Mon May 16, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh, and I have that side bar pull out thing on the cab rack too. Even though the PA works it some, by keeping the weight close to the truck cab it's fine. Little creativity involved loading alone but easily doable. I'm less than 6 foot, older than dirt and I can get it up..... :D ...... there.........on top.......... I had to have a welder cut and weld the extra extend-a-bed deal as my welder was hosed. He used heavier than needed angle for "stiffeners"..... If anyone wants close ups, let me know, I can get some.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well after help from some of you on here I solved the problem for now! It worked great on the first trip and didnt have any movement by they time we arrived at our destination. Thanks everyone for the help.