Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not use the paddle holder that comes with the PA - just kind of in the way of everything else.

I am looking for ways that fellow PA users have mounted their paddles ...something different that works well. I don't use the paddle much but want to keep it above deck and handy if needed.

Suggestions / Ideas???

Thanks in advance and tight lines!

PS..Pics are great!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have the same issue and question.

I dont like the T handle either, i prefer the double paddle, but it is ALWAYS in the way

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't like using the T handle paddle, I prefer the full sized put together paddle. I bought a paddle holder at West Marine and it is zip tied to the side rail. the paddle clips in the holder and hangs off the side out of the way and it does not snag on anything but is handy if needed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I know you can get a few of the same little mounting brackets like the one on there now. And depending on how many holes you mind drilling in the side you can mount it on the side of the Pro Angler, right or left.....Just make sure to attach it to the boat with a paddle lanyard in case of mechanical failure on the mounting brackets. Also wherever you drill holes and put screws make sure to use marine goo or some type of marine sealant in the holes as added protection from leaking.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree, the "paddle holder" clip that is mounted on the PA is a joke, it needs to have a side mount system like the other Hobie models. I have used the bungees on the rail handle to wrap around the paddle and come back down to their clips in the boat, not the best solution in the world, but functional while sitting still fishing/drifting.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mounted a paddle holder clip to the side rail on the starboard side rail. It holds a single, short paddle. To ensure it doesn't come out unexpectedly, I secure it with a piece of velcro wrap.

Having it on the outside of the boat keeps it out of the way but it's easy to get if I need it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Tom...I was thinking about something like that but did not know it that would work. I too am currently using a bungee wrapped around the rail and attached to a pad eye inside but don't care for that set up.

Tom, you look like you have more "stuff" on the inside of your yak than I do lol.

Keep any suggestions coming so I can see what else is out there and make a decision to change.

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had just gotten back from a rainy day fishing trip and had pulled our gear out to fully dry. Our boats don't normally look like that while we're fishing!

I don't remember who makes that paddle clip but your paddle just "snaps" into it. I only added the velcro strap to make sure I don't lose it trailering the boat down the road.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That paddle clip is made for the Native yaks..

Here is the link for anyone to see a closer view and costs:

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/118 ... older.html

I would think it would be a universal clip!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's it. Most paddle shafts will clip into it with a little tension.

For a full length paddle, I might get two and mount one at either end of the side rail for a little more support. It would definitely keep the paddle from flopping or shifting but would still be easy to get in or out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the same one in the pic installed also on my handle, got it ACK for around $10 and works very good, I used the rubber well nuts to install and it gives it a little movement while taking the paddle on and off and makes less stress on the holder and the handle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My blade fits nicely into the front hatch "groove". I just rest it into it and let the back half sit beside me in the boat. It has been good. I put it away when I load the boat. I too use the kayak paddle not a canoe paddle.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just my 2 cents...

Other than having to back up or when beaching the PA...I really do not use my paddle much either...BUT, want easy access to it when the time comes. I leave it set up with the "T" handle and just tuck it under the back bungee cord. I do not use the clip, just rest the handle behind the stern side handle bar. (stays secure enough)

This works well for me and is easy access putting it back too.

Stay safe my friends!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use Surf to Summit's Paddle holders, strap with buckle allow you to strap to the side rail and no drilling holes! Only down side is you can't do it with one hand which can be a pain.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MrGreen wrote:
I use Surf to Summit's Paddle holders, strap with buckle allow you to strap to the side rail and no drilling holes! Only down side is you can't do it with one hand which can be a pain.

I like their system but I also do not like the fact that it would take a little doing to get the paddle in there and/or two hands which means I would have to stop fishing lol.