Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro angler trailer ideas
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm selling my full sized pickup soon, and it's 8 foot bed will be sorely missed for carting around my prangler... its gotta go, the hemi motor consumes fuel at an ungodly rate.

I have a VW jetta that I use as my work car, and i'd rather NOT use a cartop system, simply because its a heavy boat and i'd rather not lift it, especially after a long day of peddling against the tides.

would this little utility trailer work? I was thinking of using the PVC tubes that others were using..obviously i'm not worried about the weight so much as the length. http://www.amazon.com/Northern-Industri ... 559&sr=8-3

any input is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you fishing in saltwater??? If not this trailer could work. Check the dimensions of that trailer and see if it will work with the Dimensions of the other post about PVC trailer bunks. Those guys have it figured out right.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i'm fishing salt and fresh equally but I won't be dunking it ... I'll be using the cart to put it in the water.

my brother mentioned lack of tongue weight possibly being an issue and causing swaying... hm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I purchased a jet ski trailer for $350.00 in good condition on Craigs list. I adjusted the bunks to fit the PA. I've used it at boats ramps and limited access areas where I needed the cart, the ramp was much easier backed down slid it off and parked. The trailer is tricky to back up the shorter distance between the car and trailer and the inability to see it makes it interesting. I've attached a pole with a reflector so I know where the trailer is when the PA is off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

short trailers can be a big pain...i'm not worried though. I have a Class A license, I drive a 48 foot trailer 400 miles 4 days a week...

I just really need a way to carry the bugger. My brother converted his old sealion boat trailer to a yak trailer, and he doesnt dunk it - it's a transport method only.

thanks for the idea though i'll keep my eye open for a single jetski trailer on CL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep in mind that the PA is 14' long. A trailer needs to be a minimum of 12' from the hitch. Never thought about NOT going straight to the water with my trailer. That's kayak thinking to still use a cart as primary wheels, this is the PA. I did a 14' galvanized Jon boat trailer, $700@ basspro.(Ouch) I did the cart loading thing 1 time, that sucks!!! Check with the PVC bunk guys about minimum trailer length, so you don't buy something too short.

If you have the space for a trailer, it's awesome to just drop in geaux fish.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a Harbor Freight trailer w/ 12" tires for salt water and fresh water. I usually do not back it into the water but just close to the ramp and then either unload at the water edge or use the cart from there. I put a 4x8 plywood floor on it and that is the best way to store and transport the PA. Underneath the deck I have rod and paddle storage and a cross bar on the top to haul 2 other yaks as well.

My little trailer actually tilts and I have added about 30" to the tongue and a front post with a winch on it so I do not lift at all...just back/roll trailer up to the nose of the PA, hook the winch strap around the front handle and start winching. It slides right onto the deck and tilts back down as it is going forward.

I trailer it at up to 75 and 80 mph with no problem and you don't even really know it is back there. The cross bars on the top for the other yak give me the visibility to back it up with little problem.

So, that totally would work with a little work and you would not have any problem with that setup.

Of course we are just crazy coon asses over here. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You definitely don't want to put it on the top of the car. I have a buddy that just had his car top rack system and the pro angler ripped off the top of his car. The boat was in better shape than the car. I use a shorelander trailer to pull my pro angler behind my jeep wrangler. it is made specifically for the PA.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

YOu will need to extend the tongue... About "x" feet... Not sure so asked if they have an extension for the trailer.... Might have a custom made one for sale.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree with Thinwater, you will need to extend your trailer tongue a bit. I got a Sportsrig trailer for my Pro Angler and had to order a tongue extension in addition to the trailer. Total cost around $2500.00 (ouch) but the trailer is fantastic, big spoked motorcycle wheels for highway speed rating and springs to minimize bounce going over bumps. You can see them at (sportsrig.com) and look at the Microtrailer. Made out of powder coated steel not aluminum, pricey but well worth it!

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm using a Harbor Freight kit trailer - probably the same one as branch office. The total length is right around 12 feet. the tounge is short, but you learn to adapt to it. The PA is nose-heavy and I push it as far forward as I can and still open the hatch on my Pilot, so there is some tounge ewight. It tracks well and does NOT sway. The tilt feathure is nice, but I never use it with the PA. Also nice to avaialbel for general utility trailer tasks. It alos folds up like a ping pong table so you can stor it easily in your garage.

Best of all is the price: $400 including spare tire, jack, license, and padded racks to hold the PA.

Here's a link to pictures:
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/jj18 ... 20Trailer/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TroutNoDoubt wrote:

Nice job on the trailer... The bunks fit the pro very well...

Have you ever thought about trailering the pro angler backwards? I do to keep the chair with less wind resistance. Not much but I do like the weight distribution on the trailer better. Just a thought. Good Luck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i have thae same trailer as TroutNoDoubt but i have not out fitted it yet i put 3/4 ply down as a deck. im trying to come up with some kind of cradle for my PA. i have no problem with swaying and i dont dunk . any ideas about a cradle would be great :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

See the photobucket link in my post above for details of my set up. I made 4 trnasverse bunks from 2x6's to which I attached 4" cushion foam from a Joann's fabric store. I glued the foam to the wood, wrapped them with heavy plastic sheeting sealed with duct tape, them covered them w/ indoor/outdoor carpeting. Seems to work well. No marks/ddents on the hull.

The longitudinal pvc pipe bunks are also interesting.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I jst bought a pro angler in March 2011 and purchased a trailer at the same time. I tow it with a lexus sedan (no problem). It is called a trailex. Phone number is 877 trailex. Don't know enough about this topic to say, but it appears it is designed for the pro angler.