Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My custom live well!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Kinda simple just pumps water in and it drains out the other side. So far it has kept fish alive all day and then when I leave I can put a bubbler in the ice chest and they will continue to stay alive. Hope you like it.

Post subject: Re: My custom live well!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice looking...do the fish like the Bud Light as part of the setup or is that for other purposes lol.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The beer is for me and me only not much on sharing with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Straight Biznitchin there :) Should get ya one of them scotty or ram mount cup holders to take care of that beer for ya :D

Looks a lot like the one on Yakn Texas....and he uses it to also sit on or as a poling platform. That's the style I like :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

What type of bait are you using for this tank? That thing is huge, you'll get an extra foot of visibility standing on it. Awesome and affordable... and it's still an ice-chest that can keep your catch cold for the ride home, lets see your bait tank do that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

TeamGeauxFish wrote:
What type of bait are you using for this tank? That thing is huge, you'll get an extra foot of visibility standing on it. Awesome and affordable... and it's still an ice-chest that can keep your catch cold for the ride home, lets see your bait tank do that.

Don't think it's for "bait"....think it's to keep the fish alive :D Although, I would think you could design a divider and keep both (if the fish weren't too big). This is similar to the thread posted on a livewell for the PA, to which I posted the link for the float boat livewell.

I like this. Definetely on my 2 do list when I get a PA :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So far it has worked as a bait tank for anything that you would like to keep alive. And when ever I catch a fish I just throw it in there as well. Haven't had any problems with them eating the bait so far. Best part is after I leave the water all I need is the bait bubbler from my old live well, stick the stone in the ice chest and I have kept fish alive 3-4 more hours after leaving the water. I probably only have about 125 bucks in mine and don't think that's to bad for 54qt live well. Glad y'all are enjoying this one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Budlight592 wrote:
And when ever I catch a fish I just throw it in there as well. Haven't had any problems with them eating the bait so far.

That's because they still remember the last time they ate it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea that's kinda what I figured. I also keep a small minnow net with a float to help in catching bait before and after I put fish in there. Lots of room for shrimp to run but not as bad as you would think to catch. Only thing left for me to do is add some screen or foam so they will have something to hang on to in order to keep them from swimming to death.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How's its working with the battery out in the open air? Do you saltwater fish? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes thats about 90% of my fishing is saltwater and I have not had any issues yet but it's still new. One of my good friend also has a similar type setup and he has had his a long time now and hasn't told me about any problems with his. None of the batter stuff gets we really due to me mounting it higher up on the cooler and behind the seat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So what you're saying, is that you put full size (LIVE) Redfish and Speckeled Trout in the tank after they are caught along with bait??? Are you keeping the fish alive for tournament weigh in? Or are you putting them there so you don't have to pack them on ice in the Kayak?

What's the wheel system you are using under the PA?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I like to keep my fish fresh and alive as long as possible. So far haven't had any problems with them eating the bait. Also the wheel system thats under the yak is something else I made in order to store and move the yak around in the garage or to the truck or out in the driveway for washing and cleaning. It is work in progress but works great so far. Glad to have it up off the ground where I can work on things if I would like. I will try and post pictures of that later.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also forgot to add. If I go out and only catch one fish I usuall don't like cleaning just one so I can always just let the fish go back to the water if needed. Ice gets expensive and I have other things in the front hatch also don't really feel like using fish bags and I really don't like messing with stringers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Good thing your fish don't do what mine seem to always do, and that's swallow the freakin hook....Last 3 stripers I've caught have done that.