Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best PFD for Pro Angler
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am considering purchasiong a PA. What type of PFD is best with this type of seat. Seems like an open back might be better than a normal kayak fishing vest. Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After doing much research on the PFD topic myself, I ended up buying a NRS Chinook fishing mesh back in orange/grey color....it was $71.00 from Kayak Shed in Hood River, OR
I found I could re-enter my Outback from the water in spite of plastic tackle boxes in the two lower pockets.
I opted for the orange color for better visibility....the PFD also has some reflective tape sewn into it.
The PFD is very comfortable to wear and easy to adjust.....no problem in the kayak seat either.
I am sure you will get other replies to your question as there are many styles and types to choose from.......just wear it!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The NRS Chinook is a really nice vest/PFD. I use one exclusively in my Outback and soon to receive Revolution. For the money I haven't seen much I'd consider better, if even as good.

However, the high back design is still not high enough for the PA seat. So I decided to switch to an manual/auto suspender type inflatable PFD. It's cooler. I don't need to keep any gear in it due to the obvious storage options in the PA itself. It has no back (straps only) so it doesn't upset your sitting posture or require seat adjustment.

Just to be sure, before I went out with it the first time I tossed it in the lake. I wanted to be sure it would actually inflate. It did. Took about 5 or 10 seconds.

Cabelas has them, and even Hobie offers them in their accessory catalog.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The NRS Chinook is a really nice vest/PFD. I use one exclusively in my Outback and soon to receive Revolution. For the money I haven't seen much I'd consider better, if even as good.

However, the high back design is still not high enough for the PA seat. So I decided to switch to an manual/auto suspender type inflatable PFD. It's cooler. I don't need to keep any gear in it due to the obvious storage options in the PA itself. It has no back (straps only) so it doesn't upset your sitting posture or require seat adjustment.

Just to be sure, before I went out with it the first time I tossed it in the lake. I wanted to be sure it would actually inflate. It did. Took about 5 or 10 seconds.

That's what I was thinking would be the case. Thanks for the info.

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Cabelas has them, and even Hobie offers them in their accessory catalog.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ended up going with the Stohlquist Fisherman High Back in Cactus color. I dont mind at all how it feels with the PA seat so far and I wanted the room for tackle.