Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: sail for PA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:26 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:59 am
Posts: 10
They want $400. + tax :shock: for it ,you guys tell me is it worth the investment ,will it really help to go farther with the right wind :?: or come back quicker :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:04 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:48 pm
Posts: 41
Dunno, I just use my legs, and occasionally a golf umbrella. I know one guy that got one and likes it, just not for me tho.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:17 pm 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:46 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Escondido
As an investment, I would say they hold their value pretty well. Try to find a used one.

If you enjoy sailing, it's nice to pop the sail out and glide along. IMO, the PA has good stability with the sail and I enjoyed using it. I do like to sail though.
Image

As a tool, if you're willing to learn to use it, it can work as a hybrid power source. Keep in mind there is a maximum and minimum wind requirement and directional limitations. Carrying it onboard, you want to make sure it doesn't interfere with your fishing equipment or activities.
Image

If you decide to get one, there are some rigging tips that make the sail easier to use. You should plan to add the price of one Micro-block at minimum (for better sheeting). 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:45 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:59 am
Posts: 10
Roadrunner wrote:
As an investment, I would say they hold their value pretty well. Try to find a used one.

If you enjoy sailing, it's nice to pop the sail out and glide along. IMO, the PA has good stability with the sail and I enjoyed using it. I do like to sail though.
Image

As a tool, if you're willing to learn to use it, it can work as a hybrid power source. Keep in mind there is a maximum and minimum wind requirement and directional limitations. Carrying it onboard, you want to make sure it doesn't interfere with your fishing equipment or activities.
Image

If you decide to get one, there are some rigging tips that make the sail easier to use. You should plan to add the price of one Micro-block at minimum (for better sheeting). 8)

Does look good on that pic ,what Micro bloc :?: and where :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 pm
Posts: 13
x2.....we need more on this PA sail....pics of the micro and such....i want to buy one and have the cash just need some more info and people with personal experiences....i wish there was a way to furl the sail quickly


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:51 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:29 am
Posts: 417
I bought a sail 2 years ago and still have not used it! :o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:27 am
Posts: 14
check u tube for videos on how to furl your sail quickly, there several videos on it


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:08 pm 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:46 pm
Posts: 2394
Location: Escondido
canadianboy wrote:
,what Micro bloc :?: and where :?
A microblock is just a small pulley -- looks like this:
Image

Its job is to eliminate friction in the "main sheet" and make the sail more responsive to quick and easy handling. On the PA it attaches to the padeye just aft of the cargo well. One end connects to the sail and the the other is held in your hand. It can be cleated off in light winds.
Image

If you're new to sailing, there are a few things to learn before using it while fishing. The last thing you want is to capsize in a sudden wind gust with your fishing gear not tethered -- it might tend to leave you with a bad impression.

1. Read up on basic sailing and sail handling what makes the sail pull the boat upwind, what wind directions you can sail how to present the sail to the wind, turning (tacks, jibes, etc), how the centerboard works (your fins act as your centerboard) and so forth.

2. Rig your boat with the block. I find it much simpler to permanently separate the mainsheet from the sail for quick sail set-up and take down -- just connect it with a snap hook:
Image
Make a separate small "tail" to secure the sail:
Image Image

3. Practice sailing (including raising and lowering sail) without any fishing gear until you get comfortable with the procedure with some decent wind and get used to the heel. Learn how to luff when necessary and how to tack as a substitute for jibing when the wind is gusty.

4. You'll be a pro in no time. Have a blast! 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:45 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm
Posts: 1047
Location: Ontario, Canada
Roadrunner wrote:

You'll be a pro in no time. Have a blast! 8)


He's not kidding. I learned to sail my AI by myself by doing just what Roadrunner said above. It's not difficult, and you'll be comfortable very quickly. You'll find that you sail, not for more speed, or for easier pedalling, you'll just do it because it's fun.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:13 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:59 am
Posts: 10
Roadrunner wrote:
canadianboy wrote:
,what Micro bloc :?: and where :?
A microblock is just a small pulley -- looks like this:
Image

Its job is to eliminate friction in the "main sheet" and make the sail more responsive to quick and easy handling. On the PA it attaches to the padeye just aft of the cargo well. One end connects to the sail and the the other is held in your hand. It can be cleated off in light winds.
Image

If you're new to sailing, there are a few things to learn before using it while fishing. The last thing you want is to capsize in a sudden wind gust with your fishing gear not tethered -- it might tend to leave you with a bad impression.

1. Read up on basic sailing and sail handling what makes the sail pull the boat upwind, what wind directions you can sail how to present the sail to the wind, turning (tacks, jibes, etc), how the centerboard works (your fins act as your centerboard) and so forth.

2. Rig your boat with the block. I find it much simpler to permanently separate the mainsheet from the sail for quick sail set-up and take down -- just connect it with a snap hook:
Image
Make a separate small "tail" to secure the sail:
Image Image

3. Practice sailing (including raising and lowering sail) without any fishing gear until you get comfortable with the procedure with some decent wind and get used to the heel. Learn how to luff when necessary and how to tack as a substitute for jibing when the wind is gusty.

4. You'll be a pro in no time. Have a blast! 8)
Thanks for the info well done


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:55 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:29 pm
Posts: 2045
Location: High Point, NC
It's worth every penny in my opinion. Just remember that you need to learn how to sail - a sail is an airfoil, you can move in any direction, including into the wind, except for a narrow area about 40 degrees directly into the wind.

I chose the PA to learn how to get the feel for using and trimming the sail. When you get it right and sail is properly trimmed, it'll pop and you'll be amazed at the feeling. I finally understand why people who love to sail, love to sail. It's quite an experience.

You won't roll the PA with the Hobie sail, but you can sure set it on edge. "Sailing for Dummies" is actually a pretty darn good book. Buy it, read it and try it. You may forget about fishing for a bit while you have fun sailing. It's addictive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:05 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:59 am
Posts: 10
Tom Kirkman wrote:
It's worth every penny in my opinion. Just remember that you need to learn how to sail - a sail is an airfoil, you can move in any direction, including into the wind, except for a narrow area about 40 degrees directly into the wind.

I chose the PA to learn how to get the feel for using and trimming the sail. When you get it right and sail is properly trimmed, it'll pop and you'll be amazed at the feeling. I finally understand why people who love to sail, love to sail. It's quite an experience.

You won't roll the PA with the Hobie sail, but you can sure set it on edge. "Sailing for Dummies" is actually a pretty darn good book. Buy it, read it and try it. You may forget about fishing for a bit while you have fun sailing. It's addictive.
Sound good being in my early 50 ty.... and fishing fanatic the only sailing i have done on my own was windsurfing in my early 20, 3 years or so ,and had a lot of fun,so why not .thank for the info.. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: sail for PA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:38 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:29 pm
Posts: 2045
Location: High Point, NC
It's actually got me wanting to buy a full out sail boat of some kind. It's really that much fun, and challenging to work with the wind and get the sail trimmed and the course figured out.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group