Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I finally had an opportunity to use the Hobie drift chute I picked up at Backyard Boats ealier this year. I was fishing a creek off the Potomac river and the tide was pushing into the creek. I usually end up drifting too fast with the tide and I find it difficult to keep ideal boat position. I bought the drift chute hoping it would help solve this problem. I used it last weekend and it worked like a charm. I attached it to my anchor trolley with a 10 foot piece of spare rope from my trolley installation and that seemed to work perfectecly. I tossed the chute out and positioned the trolley clip at the stern of the boat. The chute inflated quickly, slowed my drift considerably, and kept me perfectly parallel to the current and shoreline. I just kept working the bank structure as I let the tide slowly move me toward the back of the creek. I didn't have any issue with the chute getting in the way of fighting a fish, but that's a problem I'll gladly sort out when it happens. Based on my single experience, I think this is going to be a great tool for fishing moving water or in significant wind. I didn't take pictures this time, but will do so when I hit the water next week.

TDK

Last edited by TDK on Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Anchor trolleys are a definite benefit to the drift shoots function I fish inshore saltwater and it helps tremendously when currents and wind is whipping around.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just popped a trolley on my TI, haven't had a chance to try it yet. Cost me about $10 in parts (including line) and took about 10 minutes to rig it. Thinking about using a big blue IKEA bag for a chute. I think I've seen someone do that on this forum.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA