Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaking PA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My PA is leaking something fierce, and I can't seem to figure where it might be leaking. It isn't coming in the hatch in the bow. I have put a light inside at night and don't see any obvious holes.
I was in the water about 6 hours a few days ago, under windy conditions, and when I pulled out, I drained 15 to 20 "gallons" of water in the hull. There was so much water in the boat, that there was water in the bottom of my tackle box in front of the seat.
Anyone got any ideas where I might be taking on water like this? :?

Post subject: Re: Leaking PA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure as i just got my pa 2wks ago. but i have read on the site that the front hatch will take on water as the waves hit the front?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

go back and check all ten scuppers and verify both drain plugs are in securely. Next you will have to leak test. good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't think it is/can take water under the front hatch...at least none of my gear in the front hatch ever is wet.
I need to look at the scuppers again. Don't think I have any that drain into the hull.
Thanks for the reply's.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, my buddy bought one of the first Pro-Anglers. He was taking on a few gallons each time out and we couldn't find any obvious leak points. However, we put some lights in the hull and he happened to notice some tiny pin holes in one of the scupper tubes. That was it. About a dozen tiny little pin holes.

Because it was such a minor thing we smeared some Goop on the inside and outside of the area and the problem was solved. His hull is dry as a chip inside these days.

Just give the scupper tubes a hard look. You may have similar tiny pin holes. It only takes a few to allow a lot of water to seep in over many hours on the water.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

take a leaf blower or hose attached to blowing end of vac,
have buddy hold it tightly against open drain hole,
then take a paint brush or spray bottle and apply detergent solution to suspected areas.
bubbles will show leak.

above shows leak in my Adventure. it's in the front of the seating for the Mirage drive. boat was out of warranty and Hobie did give me a few bucks on trade-in on a PA but am very upset they didn't give more as I feel this is a serious design flaw. action of drive puts tremendous strain on this area. and they haven't done anything to reinforce it. they said it couldn't be repaired.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
this is a serious design flaw. action of drive puts tremendous strain on this area. and they haven't done anything to reinforce it.

We have been round and round on this subject.

First... It is not a "design" flaw. We built many years worth of product before this issue began to appear.

Yes, we have made several changes to reinforce the area. It is primarily a materials and process issue that was 99% solved by summer 2006. We added a small brass fitting at the load point to capture more material and strength in molding. We provided retrofit kits at no charge that reinforce older product. We have been changing materials and have even created our own materials testing requirements for plastics vendors.

Fyi... We have not had a failure of this type on a boat produced in about a year now, so... 99.999% cured? I hesitate to promise 100% before more data is acquired, but we are certainly well on our way to 100% on this problem.

Quote:
they said it couldn't be repaired.

It's not that it can't be repaired... It's that we don't feel comfortable suggesting a repair to an area below waterline. A failure of the repair could lead to real problems for a user. We would rather replace at no charge or at the minimum offer the highly pro-rated replacement hull as you received.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys for the input. The vacuum cleaner blowing in a drain port is a great idea, and I will do that post haste. My boat is a 2008/9 model I am sure..bought it in summer of 2009 Matt, so I don't think I should experience any problems in the drive area. I looked there initially as there seemed to be a wear spot where maybe a pedal rubbed, but putting a light in the area didn't show any holes, so don't think I have a drive problem.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have finally found the leak, and it is in the drive area...a couple of cracks. But the way we found it was much simpler than you might imagine...we (I want to give credit where credit is due, Mike Barnett, my new yak buddy helped me figure this out...actually he figured it out) put a garden hose in the hull, turned on the water and in a matter of 5 minutes the leak showed up.
Now I just need to get help from Hobie on the fix.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am remiss in my coming back to this topic....I want you all to know that Hobie replaced my hull with virtually no questions asked. I did provide the pic's to the dealer, but after a few weeks, my new hull showed up. I am happily fishing in a dry yak again..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

sounds like good customer service to me, especially if they did not give you a hard time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All kayaks are susceptible to flaws in the mfg'ing process.

IMHO, Hobie stands behind their products better than most companies. Not that all kayak mfgrs. won't eventually make things right but you don't have to argue with Hobie.

They are #1 in customer service!!!