Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am the proud new owner of the 2011 PA. I ordered a Lowrance FF and Scotty Rocket launcher rod holder tubes. I am thinking I want to mount the rod holders on the mounting boards close to me and the FF a little farther out on the mounting board. I would like to know how others have set up their PA's. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well these aren't the best, but I didn't take the time to pull my trailer out, but you should get the idea of how I did it:

Bow

Stern

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Mythman. O appreciate your taking the time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used 4 Scotty clamp on rod holders, 2 on each side rail next to the seat. one rod holder has a Scotty fishfinder mount which is attached to a Mad Frog Liberator mount with a transducer arm attached. I use a Hummingbird 788ci combo FF/GPS. I use a 10 amp 12 volt battery which is inside a waterproof plastic box sourced from Walmart. one rod holder on each side has a Scotty rod holder with a 12" riser to hold rods while trolling. one rod holder is empty and I put my pliers in it that I use to remove hooks. works great, everything is easy to see and use, nothing is in the way and no holes were drilled anywhere in my PA. I did not want anything on the mounting boards because they would be in the way when getting in and out of the PA.
pictures are halfway down in this post:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=33618&p=134775#p134775

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Atavuss, Thank you very much for your reply - I like the rail mounts and I think I will look for those, I was worried about the butt of my rods getting tangled in my legs while trolling - the rail mount takes care of that. I used to have a suction cup transducer mount on my aluminum boat and it worked quite well - I might consider that route as well. You only really need to get the ducer just under the surface, I fish Lake Superior till first ice and slipping my hand in for a minute won't be that bad.
Thanks again for your help - ot is much appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Finnbear - congrats on the new PA and welcome to the forum.
I eventually rigged my rod holders like Atavuss, on raised extenders mounted on the side rails. I started out with them on the closest part of the sideboards, but found that this was too far away to get a quick hookset on occasion. If you do the siderail mount, you will need to wrap some anti-slip rubber sheet(gasket material or old inner tube, for instance) around the rail prior to attaching the clamp-on Scotty base. With the added leverage of the extender tube and a long rod, even a small fish can twist the base on the rail unless it is really mounted very very tightly. As far as the FF mount goes, keep it close so you can adjust it without getting out of your seat. For me, this also is on the rail. As you can imagine, my rails are now too full to permit a paddle stroke. So, I keep the FF folded down and don't attache the extender tubes and rod holders until I get out deep enought to stow the paddle and use the Mirage Drive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim_MI,

Thanks for the info - and thanks for the rubber gasket idea - I was going down to the garage to measure the Hobie rails and was wondering if the holders would twist or even hold the rods at all when I am using a dipsy or jet diver. I think I really like the rail mount idea for the rods though and will try it, if it doesn't work - it's not like I drilled any holes.
I have a Native Marvel that I was using for my fishing kayak and had mounted the ff way too far forward, I ended up cutting a 3/8th " dowel at about 18" long, I glued rubber tips on it and used that to enter data - too many times hitting the wrong buttons- engaging the man overboard feature or something else just a frustrating.
Again, I very much appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply - in fact thanks to everyone that responded, your comments really helped.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mount the FF in arms length... Too far forward and you will be spending more time adjusting then fishing... Just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use Ram Mounts for about everything including giving me some adjustment on my FF on the right rail. I fish to the left so it is not in my way on the right, but I can lower it if needed. The ram mount is held by a stock stainless "U" bolt from Home Depot that fits the rail perfectly , but I had to wallow one of the ram holes out 1/8" to the side.
I use one on the front loading bar to mount my transducer externally and one on the left side of the cockpit to mount the Evolve control head.

Not a good pic, but the best I have available as I post this.

Good luck, Phill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all that replied. I ended up mounting my FF close to me on a small RAM mount attached to the right mounting board. I was going to mount my rod holders on the mounting boards too but the boards move around too much.
I used one Scotty rail mount on my right rail and I used expandable well nuts to mount 2 Scotty surface mount rod holders just behind my seat.
I have been out several times now with the PA and love this boat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are a few things I've done to mine...

I made rocket launchers for mine.

Got an anchor trolley

Eagle Cuda GPS/Fishfinder mounted on the left side.

I marine gooped the transducer behind the mast pole inside the hull.

The battery is a Deer Feeder 12v one, inside a walmart dry box. I zip tied it to the mast pole, so it doesn't move.

Definately get a Hobie Heavy duty cart. Makes life so much better...

Good luck and God Bless!
Doc S

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Clean looking install. thanks for sharing it with us.

Phill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello finnbear.

Nice work :wink:

Great post and pictures!

A hug.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bassfriend wrote:
Hello finnbear.

Nice work :wink:

Great post and pictures!

A hug.

Thanks for the compliment, but I didn't supply those pics, although my transducer and battery mount was very similar.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

atavuss wrote:
I used 4 Scotty clamp on rod holders, 2 on each side rail next to the seat. one rod holder has a Scotty fishfinder mount which is attached to a Mad Frog Liberator mount with a transducer arm attached. I use a Hummingbird 788ci combo FF/GPS. I use a 10 amp 12 volt battery which is inside a waterproof plastic box sourced from Walmart. one rod holder on each side has a Scotty rod holder with a 12" riser to hold rods while trolling. one rod holder is empty and I put my pliers in it that I use to remove hooks. works great, everything is easy to see and use, nothing is in the way and no holes were drilled anywhere in my PA. I did not want anything on the mounting boards because they would be in the way when getting in and out of the PA.
pictures are halfway down in this post:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=33618&p=134775#p134775

Hey atavuss,

How did you mount your Humminbird transducer to the Liberator arm? I have a 385ci DI and I'm not sure teh best way to make that attachment. FYI - your picture link in presious posts seems to have gone awry.

Thanks!

TDK