Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I currently use 6 Yakima Mako Saddles on my post WWll 1/4 ton Bantam trailer to haul my PA. I have been having problems with the Mako saddles collapsing from the weight of the PA. I contacted Yakima and they said the Mako saddles are not designed to carry the weight of the PA. I need to get rid of the Mako saddles and try the Hobie Pro Angler cradles part # 72020401. My question is will the PA cradles attach to the 3/4" pipe that my trailer uses for racks? Amazingly the distance between the front and rear rack is exactly 67". I am concerned about how durable the Hobie cradles are as I load the PA by lifting the front of the PA to the rear rack then I lift the PA from the rear and shove it onto the rest of the trailer, will the cradles be able to take this type of usage?
I also thought about just using the foam blocks under each contact point at the pipes and PA but not too thrilled with how durable that will be. The trailer does get used on rough 4x4 roads.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:05 am 
Site Admin

The cradles are pretty tough. You can load as described.

The bottom surface of the cradles is flat. You will have to make something to adapt to that surface. I would not want the round bar being the contact point. You need to spread the load out on the cradle bottom surfaces. Maybe 2 x 4 attached to the bars and then the cradles on top of that?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Matt, I will figure something out to get the cradles to work.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the same problem with my setup - the Yakima Hulley Rollers work fine, but the Mako's warp. Can the # 72020401 cradles be attached to roof racks using mighty mounts? If not, then I'm just going to have to fabricate something.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Can the # 72020401 cradles be attached to roof racks using mighty mounts?

I'm not familiar with Mighty mounts.

The cradles are flat on the bottom, so need to mount to a flat surface of similar width to be properly supported.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tightlines wrote:
I have the same problem with my setup - the Yakima Hulley Rollers work fine, but the Mako's warp. Can the # 72020401 cradles be attached to roof racks using mighty mounts? If not, then I'm just going to have to fabricate something.

Do you have problems with the Hully Rollers putting dents in the PA's hull? I have problems with the Mako shark saddles putting dents in the PA's hull in several spots. I do use the trailer to store the PA but when the PA is stored on the trailer the straps are loose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't had a problem with dents from either the Makos or the Hulley Rollers. I mount the Makos fairly wide on my rack and keep the hulley rollers very narrow, fitting in the in the two channels around the centerline. I only store the Kayak flat on pads so it's only on the rollers when I'm transporting to/from launches.

Matt, the Universal Mighty Mounts are effectively clamps that attach to factory roof racks - allowing attachment of Yakima and other accessories. I guess the question is how do the Hobie cradles affix to trailers? Can I just drill my own holes and bolt them on?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

tightlines wrote:
I guess the question is how do the Hobie cradles affix to trailers? Can I just drill my own holes and bolt them on?

mmiller wrote:
The cradles are flat on the bottom, so need to mount to a flat surface of similar width to be properly supported.

They have several contact points that vary depending on the type cradle and forward or aft. Each flat contact point is drilled for a bolt already.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt,
Are the PA cradles on backorder? I ordered a set over a week ago and the dealer says they did not come in with a large order he got from Hobie this week.
Do the cradles have felt or anything on the side where the PA will rest on?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Cradles now have foam rubber pads. You mount and then apply the pads to the cradles.

We have a full stock now, but could have been out when that order initially shipped. Currently showing no back orders, so any back orders have been shipped.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

For what it's worth, been experimenting with PVC running lengthwise on my factory roof rack. So far no problems. Weight is evenly distributed and it slides very easily down the pipe. Not the prettiest, but it sure works well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

turtle2 wrote:
For what it's worth, been experimenting with PVC running lengthwise on my factory roof rack. So far no problems. Weight is evenly distributed and it slides very easily down the pipe. Not the prettiest, but it sure works well.

Turtle, while I am already committed to the Hobie cradles I would like to see your setup, pictures if possible please.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Cradles now have foam rubber pads. You mount and then apply the pads to the cradles.

We have a full stock now, but could have been out when that order initially shipped. Currently showing no back orders, so any back orders have been shipped.

Thanks Matt for the info. The dealer told me he would call me today and give me an update, he never called so I will have to raise a little hell with him.
Matt, I don't have a Hobie dealer closer than an hour's drive at the minimum each way, would I be able to order directly from Hobie?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Matt, I don't have a Hobie dealer closer than an hour's drive at the minimum each way, would I be able to order directly from Hobie?

We do not sell direct to consumers.

People often ask, but we are certainly not closer to you, unless you live right in our back yard. Phone or email makes distance irrelevant... and we don't have a show room!

We do offer a drop-ship service. Orders from dealers can be shipped direct to you. There is a $10.00 service fee on top of freight costs.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)