I am planning a month-long kayak fishing excursion in January! I will be leaving my home in Oklahoma City and driving to Ft. Lauderdale. Along the way I'll be stopping at the following places to fish:
1. Venice, LA - this will mostly be a redfish excursion as most of the trout are in deep holes.
2. Orange Beach, Alabama - This is a great bull redfish spot. But there may also be some opportunities for a big winter trout.
3. Sebastian, Fl. - This is a great all-around fishery. Weather will dictate what type of fishing. But this is a great spot for big snook and trout.
4. Ft. Lauderdale - The bulk of my time will be spent in S. Florida. My parents live in a development with numerous lakes and creeks which are no-motor zones. I've caught hundreds of largemouths here over the years, with 3 legit 10 pounders. I can't wait to take the yak to them. But there are many more opportunities, including offshore kayak fishing for sailfish, dolphin, wahoo, tuna and amberjack. There is a cadre of offshore kayakfishermen down there. And I plan on hooking up with some of those guys. I grew up in S. Florida and know the area well.
5. Florida Keys and Flamingo - I plan on getting down there at least a couple times to try and catch some tarpon, bonefish, snook, redfish and jacks from the kayak. I spent many years down there and have been dying to try kayak fishing in the Keys.
On the way back I plan to stop at one spot in the west coast of Florida, to be determined. Maybe Hommasassa or Pine Island. But the one spot I'm really hoping to make, weather permitting, is Lake Fork TX as this is where some of the biggest, baddest largemouths live.
I'm going to try and set up a blog and will link it here for this trip. I've been wanting to do a kayak trip like this for many years. And the stars are finally lining up for it to happen.