Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Time is Coming!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So I am closer to my goal. That is to purchase a 2012 HPA. Sold two of my babies, I mean kayaks as a sacrifice. They look like they are with good homes. :) With that said, what is the first and second accessory you all purchased for your PA? I am thinking I am really going to need the Wheels the same time purchase my HPA. With the weight at 88 lbs, I don't see to many people with custom/diy wheels for the HPA.

Any thoughts?

2020 Hobie Outback

Post subject: Re: My Time is Coming!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good to hear you are nearing your goal! Yes, besides the wheels I went for the H-bar as it makes it easier to get in and out as well as balance. :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The first thing I picked up after buying my PA were rod holders. My advise is to hold off on this and test out where they will work best for you and your type of fishing. I have changed rod holder 4 times in the last year trying to get the best location. So far mounting them near the seat is the best, for me that is.

The wheel cart is def worth its weight in gold when you need to get it down to the water and can't get your trailer (if you have a trailer) close by.

Good luck on the purchase!

Brian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry guy but the weight is 140 lbs ............ still can't figure the 80

A cart is necessary ........ just buy the Hobie Heavy duty cart and be done with it ....... I built a couple and ..... well .... just buy the HD cart .... regular is pushing it.

Second, you need a heavy duty rooftop carrier, trailer or PU w/a bed extender to transport it.

Third, Anchor trolley

Fourth, rod holders. I Like the Scotty's and I REALLY like the Yackattack Geartracs. it allows you to change configs in minutes without drilling new holes for every config change.

Light ....... Yakattack

Fourth, camera and camera mounts .......Yackattack mity mounts are great and their camera mounts

Misc - stringer clip, Hobie Livewell, drift sock, anchors, engine (torqeedo or evolve) drysuit, h-bar etc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I'm pretty new to this site and to kayak fishing as well.
Just made my first test ride today with my Hobie Pro Angler in cold rainy windy weather.
I was really surprised about the stability (I had a test ride with a Revolution).
Together with the PA I purchased a livewell, HBAR (I'm waiting for the delivery), drift chute, anchor trolley and a HD-cart (without one is impossible I think).
In a few weeks my trailer will arrive and than I'm ready for take off.
What a wonderful way of fishing, I feel sorry about not have done this 30 years ago.

Kind regards,
Henk

Henk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was in the same boat (pun intended) as you a month ago. The tally so far. . . $4,307.23 per my wife :lol: . I still have a ton of stuff to add. 1st in line I think would be the wheels. You don't want to be dragging that beast on the ground to get to your truck or the water. I have a suburban, so I stuffed it in the back for the first few trips, but it sticks out almost enough to require a red flag tied to the stern, not to mention I had to keep most of the windows open because the exhaust fumes come back in through the tailgate. I went with a Yakima rail grab with Hully rollers and aero saddles for the roof. Works well for now but is a bit of work for 1 person. I have no problem loading in the morning, but after a day of fishing, it can take some effort to get that thing back on the roof. I may get a trailer at some point, but it sure is nice being totally mobile. I have a few fishing spots that have trailer and R/V restrictions. I am the only one that can launch from there. After that they sky (wallet) is the limit. My recommendation (actually one that was given to me on this forum) is to add things slowly. Don't make decisions in the garage. Get on the water and do a temp mount if possible to see if it works. It is big as far kayaks are concerned, but you still are in a confined space. See how comfortable you are getting up out of your seat and moving up to the front hatch. I think, on average, I have spent 10 hours of research at least on every add on I have done so far. Take your time, and it will fit like a glove.

Note: As far as weight. . "Memory Maker" is correct. It "is" 88lbs stripped, but you when you load her up and drag her to the water, you are at 140+.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I made my own PVC cart to move my PA. I just reinforced it with 3 metal pipes inside the PVC frame attached with screws and it worked perfectly. As far as what to get for it, take it out a few times and you'll know what you need. The 1st thing I got for mine was a cooler. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here are a few things I've done to mine...

I made rocket launchers for mine.

Got an anchor trolley

Eagle Cuda S GPS/Fishfinder mounted on the left side.

I marine gooped the transducer behind the mast pole inside the hull.

The battery is a Deer Feeder 12v one, inside a walmart dry box. I zip tied it to the mast pole, so it doesn't move.

Definately get the Heavy Duty cart. I've made carts for my other yaks and this thing is a beast to move around. It'll make PVC sag in no time...

Good luck and God Bless!
Doc S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone. I can't wait!!! This freaking PA has been like crack to me. So far I am thinking PA-Wheels-HBAR or Fish finder.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

redgrappler, You are going to be so happy !!! The PA is awesome ...plain and simple. Plenty of guys on here to help you customize your yak. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine! Sincerely, g man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love the innovation. You really get cool ideas on this site. Thanks for the posts!
I like the rocket launchers. If I was open water fishing I would set up something like that. Fishing the shallow waters for reds in S. La. I like keeping a looooow profile.

As far as accessories I believe less is more. The PA has everything. Rod tubes are perfect for keeping you rods down and out of the way. Although, I've found you can only put one spinning rod on either side without much fuss.

Pole mounted safety light with flag is a must (Coast Guard requirement). A guy named redwolf added a gel battery and a 4 gang switch panel to rig his lighting to be controlled from the cockpit. Possibilities are endless.

Depth finder is a must unless you only fish shallows for tailing reds. Then, your arm becomes your depth finder!

Get a cover and properly store your yak.

Properly transport your yak with a truck bed extender or a trailer.

Last, go fishing. often.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do your research here, what you need will be found in clear concise form. mark my words, your kayak will evolve as you go along. Of all the Hobies I own the PA by far is my favorite. Depending on your type of fishing and where you need to tote the PA , beefed up wheels are a must especially over sand. Good luck with your new toy, take pics because it will change over time and the changes will be awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget to get a flag of some type for your PA, especially if you are running on water with power boaters. I use a YakAttack VisiPole that slips in one of the rear rod holders, could not be easier.