Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steering on a PA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I got sick on my trip last weekend and I didn't get a chance to install the new steering last Monday like I had planned. But I got Friday off and took the opportunity to put in the upgrade kit. Install went smooth (a little over an hour) with some pretty basic tools and I could not be happier with the results. Steering is back to the way it should be! With the touch of a finger I can steer again. If you are having problems as described by the OP then I would definitely recommend doing the upgrade. Worth the time and effort FOR SURE!!!

On a side note I tried all the tips previously posted to correct the problem prior to buying the upgrade kit. I don't know what was causing the problem but I completely disassembled the entire steering and put it back together and still didn't fix the problem???

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There's nothing inherently wrong with the original steering system (it's the same system in a different location).

Something has to be binding, otherwise they'd all do it and we know that most don't.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree that there shouldn't be anything wrong with the original system but I would not venture as far as to say its the same system...
For one the original system doesn't include pulleys to help guide the steering cables (also eliminating the plastic tubing around each steering line). It also doesn't come out of the same center tap hole location under the seat of the PA like the original does (in my opinion this is the best feature of the new system...more of a straight line approach from the drum to the steering handle). I know everyone is aware of all this but my point is it might have all of the same components of the original system but its design and function are far superior to the original in my opinion.

Maybe the steering tubes are getting twisted inside the PA and that is causing the lines to bind? It might be the tubes are getting pinched where they turn to go up to the steering drum? I think it definitely has to do with the non-straight line approach like the new system has but what causes some systems to do it and others to work just fine??? Would be interesting to look at.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The original line that we used was made of a different material than what is currently used. The current Spectra keeps its properties and doesn't get sticky over time - I bet you could get the original system functioning perfect if you just swap out the actual string and use the 1.75mm spectra that was used later on...it's only the earlier production of PA's that used the original line - that was a contributing factor to us making the switch.