Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have noticed the rod tubes wearing the finish on my rods. If the rods are set the wrong way, the tubes chafe the fishing line. What solutions have folks come up with?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, I don't use the tubes. Instead, I built a "rocket launcher" for the rods. PVC rod holders behind me. Holds six rods.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

havent noticed this issue my self. I have fly rods, baitcast rods, and conventional rods stored in the tubes. are you using spinning rods? maybe the bigger guides might be part of the problem?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe you have some rough tubes? I use mine and see no issues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have not noticed damage to the rod shaft itself, but have had several of the line guides and the tip-top guide of one rods get bent to the point of needing replacement. The rod cannot be inserted straight due to the geometry of the hull shape, so parts of the rod are rubbing all the way in and all the way out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I do not see how I could use those rod tubes. I like the area where the reel would be for staging all my gear. I tried to insert my Shimano Terez Spinning rig and seemed it would be easy to bend something pulling it in and out of there especially while trying to fish.

I will start a new thread about removing the rod tubes. I was thinking about just getting them out of the way for more storage in the hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is worse with spinning rods but its the curvature of the hull that makes them rub the rod tip the whole way down and then the lip at the opening that tends to catch on rod guides and can rub the line. I have no idea how but I am trying to concoct some way of coating them somehow so there is a smooth surface. Might just have to grin and bear it...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, your problem is that the guides are catching and hanging on the junctions where the facade plate joins the actual tubes.

I don't know if you can get your fingers in there, but I had a kid help me with mine. I cut sections of electrical tape and had him stick it around the junction of each tube to plate. Now the rods slide in and out much, much easier.

There is another cure, and may be even easier for you. Find some new tubing material, anything but try to make it very thin wall and lightweight. The idea is to sleeve your current tubes with these "liners." Golf club bag tubes might work for you, although they're not going to be as large as the tubes you have now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

From our fish guys:

When putting rods in and out, the user should run the back edge of their rod (the side opposite the guides) along the inner rim of the horizontal rod holder and this will prevent any and all damage.

Keep line tension minimal.

Transport / trailering? That could accelerate wear if you leave rods in the tubes.

A chipped guide can chafe line.

Tape or sand the tube flange.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the response. I don't trailer with the rods in it. Some of the wear on the rods I am concerned about is from storing and removing them watching to not hit the rod guides. There is wear at the top of the rods on the opposite side of the guides from running up and down the tube. I know the the rubbing is a necessity given the curve of the hull but am curious about adding a "kinder" material to the tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

I'm surprised that the tubes would be at all rough inside.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

Its not that the tubes are rough inside, they are just a very hard plastic. Im thinking of something a little gentler on the rods is all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think you could add some Silent Traction System on the rim of each rod tube to add a little cushion for the rods to rest on.

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I spotted this item called a Rod Glove that might be a good solution.
http://vrxfishing.com/
It looks like the flared end might keep it from sliding up into the rod tube. I just don't know if it will pull out of the tube every time you remove your rod. Maybe there is a way to connect the end up inside the rod tube to prevent this from happening. As I read this, it just sounds indecent. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use what is called a rod jacket whenever I put my rods in the rod tubes. It might not be necessary but it is no trouble to do and I like to take care of my equipment. Again its just a precautionary move on my part but works like a charm...The rod jacket could be the same thing as a rod glove Im not sure . I also agree it might not be a good idea to transport expensive rods in the tubes. Hope this helps. g man