Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New PA!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For the past few years my experience of kayak fishing has been in a Cobra FND which has been a great kayak but I have always been dreaming of getting a PA. It's funny because out here in Arizona I've yet to see a PA anywhere! So I was a little shy to pull the trigger but after watching YouTube videos and reading forums I knew I was not going to be disappointed.
So, I want to thank you guys for everything you have posted out there because without all those pics, videos, and forums I would have never purchased the PA and would be still out there paddle in hand...
My 2012 PA arrived last week and had the opportunity to take it out this weekend and I have zero disappointments! I can't wait to have it out again! Today I installed a Humminbird fish finder and a Scotty rod holder to start with! I also wanted to give a shout-out for Chuck from Summit Divers and Watersports in Flagstaff. He is one of the owners and is great to work with! He didn't have a dune color PA in stock but didn't hesitate drive out to Oceanside to pick mine up and then deliver it to Phoenix! So I highly recommend him and his shop!
Well this will be one of many posts! Thanks again guys!

Post subject: Re: New PA!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

cdennyaz wrote:
For the past few years my experience of kayak fishing has been in a Cobra FND which has been a great kayak but I have always been dreaming of getting a PA. It's funny because out here in Arizona I've yet to see a PA anywhere! So I was a little shy to pull the trigger but after watching YouTube videos and reading forums I knew I was not going to be disappointed.
So, I want to thank you guys for everything you have posted out there because without all those pics, videos, and forums I would have never purchased the PA and would be still out there paddle in hand...
My 2012 PA arrived last week and had the opportunity to take it out this weekend and I have zero disappointments! I can't wait to have it out again! Today I installed a Humminbird fish finder and a Scotty rod holder to start with! I also wanted to give a shout-out for Chuck from Summit Divers and Watersports in Flagstaff. He is one of the owners and is great to work with! He didn't have a dune color PA in stock but didn't hesitate drive out to Oceanside to pick mine up and then deliver it to Phoenix! So I highly recommend him and his shop!
Well this will be one of many posts! Thanks again guys!

Congrats on your new PA! I picked mine up yesterday. If the winds were calmer, I'd be getting mine in the water as well. It sounds like you had a great buying experience as well.

I have my Hummingbird fishfinder on order and will be installing it soon. We have a big kayak fishing tournament in Jacksonville on May 12th that I can't wait to fish the PA with.

Tight lines!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice purchase for both of you, you definitely won't be dissapointed at all!!

http://www.thehobielife.blogspot.com

AFTCO, Kanan Lures, Astral Buoyancy and Alltackle.com Pro Staff
2012 Yellow Pro Angler 12 and 2014 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Pictures Everyone! Especially of the Maiden Voyage. I have yet to receive mine. It's on order. I'm so jealous. It doesn't help that the weather is so nice in Texas right now. But my PA will live in Canada.

(drumming fingers impatiently)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

arcticmermaid wrote:
Pictures Everyone! Especially of the Maiden Voyage. I have yet to receive mine. It's on order. I'm so jealous. It doesn't help that the weather is so nice in Texas right now. But my PA will live in Canada.

(drumming fingers impatiently)

Thanks for the congrats!

I know you'll be a proud owner soon enough. The weather looks great for a maiden voyage this weekend. I will definitely post pictures. I have upgrade plans as well. Great ideas on the forum and some of my own. I will definitely share pictures starting with the maiden voyage! We're expecting lows of 61 and highs in the 70s this weekend so I'll be getting it wet fishing for bass and crappie in the lake here.

Everyone I know at work with Kayaks are jealous over the PA...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After having the PA in posession for a week, I finally got it out for its maiden voyage this morning. The winds were 14-16 mph, so I figured I'd stay near the tree lines. It was my first experience in a kayak (regardless of propulsion type).

I'm very pleased with how it handled. I see how it can be a load with all your gear in it for loading/unloading...lol. I haven't started the mods yet as I want to get the "on the water feel" as to where items are when you're in the boat. Not the same as the 21 foot bass boat I'm used to.

I bought a C-Tug and the Hobie Heavy Duty cart. I figured whichever one worked the best was going with the PA. The other would be used for the wife's Revolution 11. It looks like the Hobie cart is easier than the C-Tug. I'm very please so far with this purchase!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Beautiful area.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The PA is a little heavy and cumbersome compared to what we've come to think of in terms of being a "fishing kayak." But once you get it on the water, it's surprisingly nimble and rather quick. A PA with turbo fins seems about as fast as an Outback with the standard fins.

If you have an easy means to get it to the water, there's not much reason not to own a PA.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

n2bassfishing wrote:
Beautiful area.

I love the lake as it's a 225 acre private lake that my subdivison is built around and does not get a lot of pressure. No swimming, jet ski, etc. 25-35 hp limit depending on which phase you built in. I built here because there was no golf course like the other areas I was looking at and I can fish year round. There's never more than 2-3 boats on the lake at the busiest times.

The PA and gas costs were the reasons I gave up the big bass boat for 2 Hobies. The lake has good crappie, brim and bass fishing in it. Cypress trees all around and in the lake. There's just one gator that I've ever seen and he always steers clear of humans...lol.

Tom,

You're absoultely correct about the handling and ease on the water. We had fairly steady 14mph winds, but it peddled and steered just fine. Since i"m off this coming week, I'll be re-arranging the garage and bulding my kayak storage to handle both kayaks. I also plan on attaching the upgrades that arrived on the PA. (rod holders, fishfinder/gps. sliding seat, etc.)

The boat fits just perfect in my 5.5 foot bed with the tailgate down (F-150 SuperCrew), so all I need is one strap through the side rails to hold it in place to get to either of the two ramps/docks in the subdivision.

I do have a truck bed extender that I will use for trips out of the subdivision as I prefer the additional support in the back.

Tight lines!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello

I just fished for the first time on a kayak. The pro angler is my first ever kayak and man did I get the right kayak. This thing is a blast I am going to have fun in small lakes. I look forward to rigging my unit and showing it off. Just gotta start on how to set up my hummingbird 130. I like it back by the seat on the right so I am gonna have to figure something out, here is my first catch on my yak... trying to figure out how to post picture