Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guys,
I just saw where Lowrance has a scupper mount for transducers. I have a shoot-thru-hull install right now but from what I understand this should be much more accurate. Anyone use one yet?

" Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt, then its hilarious"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The Lowrance scupper mount is a great idea, but for me, not an option. I, like many other yakkers, use a kayak scupper cart to get from the car, to the water. Having the transducer mount in the scupper hole would prevent me from using my hobie cart.
I am surprised that Hobie hasnt started to mold in transducer mounts into their kayaks by now. There's probly more to it than I know!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the Elite 5 DSI with the Lowrance scupper hole mount on my PA. The Elite is on the side rail,scupper mount right side with the battery in rear storage hatch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rafiki2cu,
Do you like the install and performance? I am hoping to get a much more accurate water temp reading. I have the Lowrance 4x now but had been looking at the 5 with the DSI.

" Its all fun and games until somebody gets hurt, then its hilarious"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have the scupper mount for the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI. However, my PA does not arrive until end of March. Will be trying it out shortly thereafter. Am also concerned about dragging over the sand & disturbing/damaging the transducer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mayfield6,

I like the scupper hole mount it gives accurate water temp and great images. I can remove it and reinstall in about 5 minutes if I need to use a cart. The transducer fits far enough up in the valley of the hull that so far no issues with hitting anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Patriot wrote:
I have the scupper mount for the Lowrance Elite 4 DSI. However, my PA does not arrive until end of March. Will be trying it out shortly thereafter. Am also concerned about dragging over the sand & disturbing/damaging the transducer.

Patriot,

The bottom of my hull is below my transducer. The DSI transducer can be attached to the scupper mount with out using a bracket. I just did a measurement and the transducer has a inch clearance from the bottom of the hull.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

rafiki2cu wrote:
Patriot wrote:

Patriot,

The bottom of my hull is below my transducer. The DSI transducer can be attached to the scupper mount with out using a bracket. I just did a measurement and the transducer has a inch clearance from the bottom of the hull.

Rafiki,
That's reassuring...thanks for info.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:47 am 
Hobie Team Member

Rafiki,

That's good intel...that was my one main worry as well. I have the mount but haven't had a chance to check the clearance issue as of yet.

Hutch,

Why can't you miunt the scupper ducer through one of the scuppers right behind the seat area (the two scupper just fwd of where the cart would go)? that was going to be my plan....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So what your saying is......if I use the scupper holes that are in the space behind the seat for the lowrance scupper transducer mount, then I could just plug my Hobie cart into the scupper holes that are located next to mirage drive well for transporting my kayak to and from the water?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:18 am 
Hobie Team Member

No, I'm talking about using the scupper plugs that are directly behind the seat (you have to unsrew and remove the drain plug) vs. the two that are in the fwd part of the tankwell that most people use for their scupper cart.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Now I see.... So the Lowrance scupper mount will fit the drain plug hole without any modification to the hole?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd love to use this mounting option however the pipe rail mountings on my kayak trailer follow the scupper line and would interfere I am afraid.

Salt: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeb5zOGDfoKlEPsMK5GBUOge_Qz5u2koH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:52 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Quote:
So the Lowrance scupper mount will fit the drain plug hole without any modification to the hole?

Yes....and though not sure yet, I believe that with the curve in the bottom of the hull where those scuppers are the DI ducer will fit with plenty of clearance from the ground if you had to drag the boat, etc!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice!