Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I am new to this forum and will be purchasing a Pro Angler within the next week. I am still contemplating on the color by the way... I have the transportation part figured out somewhat. I have a truck and will be using a bed extender that I set up exactly like another member did here with the harbor freight trailer lights and a pad on top of the extender.

1-For the point of the post: I was going to install a lift in my garage and instead of having to flip over the pa or just having it hull down on a flat surface I was wondering if I could store the pa on the hobie cradles installed on the flat surface of the lift without having to worry about dents or warping in hot weather. I don't want to have to store it upside down and have to take off all the holders and mounts.

2-Will the pa get flat spots from transporting it in the bed of my pickup with the extender with a carpet underneath or should I use the hobie pa saddle during transport as well?

3-ANNND.... what color should I get for bass fishing?? Dune or Olive???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=41336
You could do the same thing with a 2x4 frame, lay it in the bed and slide it on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

squidder 329 wrote:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=41336
You could do the same thing with a 2x4 frame, lay it in the bed and slide it on.

Would the pipes make flat spots on the hull?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't think so, and I wouldn't know, how would you check ? Being that your not using a trailer you could go with 3" pipe which would give even more contact.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

DuckKlr wrote:
So I am new to this forum and will be purchasing a Pro Angler within the next week. I am still contemplating on the color by the way... I have the transportation part figured out somewhat. I have a truck and will be using a bed extender that I set up exactly like another member did here with the harbor freight trailer lights and a pad on top of the extender.

1-For the point of the post: I was going to install a lift in my garage and instead of having to flip over the pa or just having it hull down on a flat surface I was wondering if I could store the pa on the hobie cradles installed on the flat surface of the lift without having to worry about dents or warping in hot weather. I don't want to have to store it upside down and have to take off all the holders and mounts.

2-Will the pa get flat spots from transporting it in the bed of my pickup with the extender with a carpet underneath or should I use the hobie pa saddle during transport as well?

3-ANNND.... what color should I get for bass fishing?? Dune or Olive???

I store my PA upside down on a lift in my garage and it works out great. It's not very hard to flip over. I figure it keeps dust and dirt from settling in the cockpit during the longer idle stretches in the winter. (I hate to admit that it sits idle for any extended period!)

I wouldn't worry too much about flat spots from transporting in your truck. My brother (TAK on the forum) uses the exact same transport setup you describe without issue.

I'm partial to the Dune color, but I'm not sure it matters all that much to the fish. My brother has the Olive and it seems to show scuffs more than mine, but the Dune will show a mud line on the hull that can take some work (I use a Magic Eraser sponge) to remove completely. I've also seen guys in Yellow PAs pull in lots of fish. From a safety perspective, I actually really like the visibility of the Yellow. My local dealer, Backyard Boats, told me there wasn't much interest in Yellow over the last few years, but suddenly he's been selling lots of that color. I'm not sure what's driving that trend.